-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
kynn
Well, part of the problem is that I have no idea where to find any hardware information for this computer .....
Dell Computer Corporation
GenuineIntel
Pentium(r) II Processor
Intel MMX(TM) Technology
128.0MB RAM
I'm not a Dell expert, and one of the reasons I do try to avoid them is that they sometimes do very strange non-standard stuff. Still, I'm very surprised that you say a Dell of this apparent vintage does not support booting from floppy. I have just booted Knoppix on a far older Dell, just to be sure it would work (a Pentium I 166 mhz w/ 64 meg of ram), and it boots from CD fine (you have to go into setup, do an ALT-P to get to the second page of the setup, and tell it to boot from the CD first rather than the floppy). Certainly a newer Dell sould also have this support. You can also get more information if you look at your system case to find what model of machine you have, you can then find more information on this system at the Dell website.
I also see no reason from what you posted that would account for SBM not working with that system, but I'm not convinced yet that the computer does not boot from CD natively.
Similar Threads
-
By bongski55 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-27-2005, 09:07 AM
-
By Joris in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-27-2004, 06:55 PM
-
By n2meg in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 10-22-2003, 08:24 PM
-
By bongski55 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 07-26-2003, 09:07 AM
-
By Tortoise in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-29-2003, 08:03 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW
$13.89

Vacuum-Sealed 3D Printing Filament Kit, 20 Packs Lightproof Storage Bags with
$38.98

Vacuum-Sealed 3D Printing Filament Kit, 20 Packs Lightproof Storage Bags with
$38.98

V3 Robot Vacuum and Mop Combo,Self-Charging,5000pa Strong Suction,WiFi/Alexa NIB
$82.00

Compressed Air Duster Rechargeable Computer Vacuum Cleaner for PC Keyboard Toys
$16.99

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM
$37.99

Vacuum/Air Duster Super Power Mini Car Vacuum Cleaner 4-in-1 air Blower Gun
$64.35

Octa Vacuum Vacuum Dock Whale Tail-Tablet Mount for iPad, Galaxy, Surface More
$33.12

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...
$167.63

Compressed Air Duster 1 Button Adjustment 12000 RPM Air Blower Car Home Keyboard
$38.99