-

Originally Posted by
Harry Kuhman
Still, I'm very surprised that you say a Dell of this apparent vintage does not support booting from floppy.
I don't know much about hardware in general, so I can't tell how surprising or not it is that this machine won't boot from the CD-ROM drive. All I know is that if I restart the machine (either by selecting "Restart" from the "Start->Shut Down" menu, or selecting "Shut down" followed by restarting the machine), I never see the Knoppix screen come up; instead, I see the usual Windows 98 start up sequence. I do hear noises coming from the CD-ROM drive right before the Windows 98 start up sequence kicks in, suggesting that the machine is aware of the CD-ROM drive, but nothing comes of it.

Originally Posted by
Harry Kuhman
I also see no reason from what you posted that would account for SBM not working with that system, but I'm not convinced yet that the computer does not boot from CD natively.
Again, that's what I see. With the SBM flooppy inserted, the machine seems to be unable to recognize the CD-ROM drive and the Zip drive altogether. If I remove the SBM floppy and restart the machine, they are once again recognized. I learned that the CD-ROM is a Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1202. I still can't figure out what its IO ports are, though.
kj
Similar Threads
-
By bongski55 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-27-2005, 09:07 AM
-
By Joris in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-27-2004, 06:55 PM
-
By n2meg in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 10-22-2003, 08:24 PM
-
By bongski55 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 07-26-2003, 09:07 AM
-
By Tortoise in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-29-2003, 08:03 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Datto S3P6000 4x 3.5" 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-1541 @2.10GHz 48GB DDR4
$128.96

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$95.20

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB
$149.99

Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU
$197.76

HPE PROLIANT BL460C GEN 9 813198-B21 2.5"x2 Server Blade SEE NOTES
$21.08

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R
$399.00

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays
$799.99

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER
$1499.97

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS
$578.08