Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Password Length Limit in Knoppix

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    Password Length Limit in Knoppix

    I've been reading an article about the newest rage in Windoze security: password phrases. Passwords are out. Pass phrases are in at M$.

    Pass phrases are very easy to remember and can be pretty long without too much extra typing hassle.

    I was wondering what the length limit is on a pass phrase in Knoppix?

    Does it do spaces? (I'm at work right now, otherwise I'd test it)

    sakiZ

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Have you read this: http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/se...3.en.html#s3.4

    I don't personally use spaces in linux, never, ever. If something needs a char between words I use an underscore.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    MD5

    I can see the logic of not using spaces. A dead give away word separator.

    OK, I read about MD5. I don't recall this in the Knoppix install.

    Is it an add on utility?

    sakiZ

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    md5 is something you should activate as it increases the significant characters in your password to more than 8. All explained in that link a lot better than I could do.
    In a nutshell, say you have the following passwd: goodpass£TFJ8-#:
    Without md5 only the first 8 chars would be used and "goodpass" isn't really a good password

Similar Threads

  1. code omitted because of length
    By newbie36 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-13-2007, 05:05 PM
  2. It looks like squash fs does not have the same 2 gig limit
    By nvgringo in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-14-2006, 04:53 AM
  3. Is there a limit on how big NTFS partition Knoppix can load?
    By hsp in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-09-2005, 09:07 AM
  4. BLock size/image length
    By warawara in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-15-2004, 05:45 PM
  5. Average European Vacation length?
    By Duffin444 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-09-2003, 05:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL60 DL80 Gen9 (U15) U15_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4 picture

Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL60 DL80 Gen9 (U15) U15_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4

$7.99



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL160 DL180 Gen9 (U20) U20_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4 picture

Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL160 DL180 Gen9 (U20) U20_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4

$7.99



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit USB Flash Drive (HAV-00162) picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit USB Flash Drive (HAV-00162)

$37.99



USB 2.0/3.0 Flash Drive Pendrive Memory Stick 2GB,4GB,8GB,32GB,64GB,128GB Lot picture

USB 2.0/3.0 Flash Drive Pendrive Memory Stick 2GB,4GB,8GB,32GB,64GB,128GB Lot

$645.99



New Samsung DUO Plus 32GB USB 3.1 USB-C Flash Drive Gray MUF-32DB/AM picture

New Samsung DUO Plus 32GB USB 3.1 USB-C Flash Drive Gray MUF-32DB/AM

$19.95



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL380/DL360 Gen9 (P89) P89_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4 picture

Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL380/DL360 Gen9 (P89) P89_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4

$7.99



Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant BL460cWS46 Gen9 (I36) I36_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4 picture

Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant BL460cWS46 Gen9 (I36) I36_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4

$7.99