Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Password Length Limit in Knoppix

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    Password Length Limit in Knoppix

    I've been reading an article about the newest rage in Windoze security: password phrases. Passwords are out. Pass phrases are in at M$.

    Pass phrases are very easy to remember and can be pretty long without too much extra typing hassle.

    I was wondering what the length limit is on a pass phrase in Knoppix?

    Does it do spaces? (I'm at work right now, otherwise I'd test it)

    sakiZ

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Have you read this: http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/se...3.en.html#s3.4

    I don't personally use spaces in linux, never, ever. If something needs a char between words I use an underscore.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    MD5

    I can see the logic of not using spaces. A dead give away word separator.

    OK, I read about MD5. I don't recall this in the Knoppix install.

    Is it an add on utility?

    sakiZ

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    md5 is something you should activate as it increases the significant characters in your password to more than 8. All explained in that link a lot better than I could do.
    In a nutshell, say you have the following passwd: goodpass£TFJ8-#:
    Without md5 only the first 8 chars would be used and "goodpass" isn't really a good password

Similar Threads

  1. code omitted because of length
    By newbie36 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-13-2007, 05:05 PM
  2. It looks like squash fs does not have the same 2 gig limit
    By nvgringo in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-14-2006, 04:53 AM
  3. Is there a limit on how big NTFS partition Knoppix can load?
    By hsp in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-09-2005, 09:07 AM
  4. BLock size/image length
    By warawara in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-15-2004, 05:45 PM
  5. Average European Vacation length?
    By Duffin444 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-09-2003, 05:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS picture

Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS

$325.99



Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra picture

Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra

$120.00



Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used picture

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used

$55.99



VINTAGE AOPEN MODEL SPI-200 200W AT POWER SUPPLY WITH SWITCH DS-PS-8 picture

VINTAGE AOPEN MODEL SPI-200 200W AT POWER SUPPLY WITH SWITCH DS-PS-8

$34.95



Vintage Teac FD-55GFV-07-U 5.25

Vintage Teac FD-55GFV-07-U 5.25" 1.2MB high density floppy drive 5178

$55.00



VINTAGE ESS ES1868 16 BIT ISA SOUND CARD COMPAQ 247428-001 - USA SELLER RM2-SC picture

VINTAGE ESS ES1868 16 BIT ISA SOUND CARD COMPAQ 247428-001 - USA SELLER RM2-SC

$24.95



Vintage Emagic Logic 5 / Logic Audio 4.0 Studio Software Box Manuals Serial picture

Vintage Emagic Logic 5 / Logic Audio 4.0 Studio Software Box Manuals Serial

$89.99



Vintage RARE Gigabyte GA-5AA Socket 7 Motherboard AMD K6-2 400mhz BOOTS TO BIOS picture

Vintage RARE Gigabyte GA-5AA Socket 7 Motherboard AMD K6-2 400mhz BOOTS TO BIOS

$224.99



Vintage Apple iMac G4 15

Vintage Apple iMac G4 15" Lamp 700MHz 512MB Mac OS X 10.4.6 W/ Pro Speakers

$300.00