Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Linux boots but Windows XP does not

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    13

    Linux boots but Windows XP does not

    I installed KNOPPIX 3.7 to the hard disk using basic install, made it so that it writes boot data to the MBR. The problem occurs with LILO. It boots linux fine, but when I try to boot to the WinXP/2K(hda5) it just displays Loading WinXP/2K(hda5) and the hd light does nothing - and it just hangs.

    I'm using a Compaq Presario 2570 US Laptop with this.

    Any ideas? I tried installing to the boot sector of the drive and it just went to the Win XP install... and when I try that it says C:\Windows\System32\hal.dll is messed up.

    I have a ghost image I did yesterday before I started all of this but I want to use linux with windows. And I don't want to do a fresh install of Windows as it takes at least a day to set it up and disable unnecessary services that leave it open to hackers.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    13
    N/M - i found out what was going wrong. When I original installed Windows XP on my laptop, I also installed MS-DOS 6.22. I pointed the Lilo boot loader to the "Windows(hda1)" partition instead and it worked. To think that I wasted 4 hours last night installing knoppix, restoring ghost images, and re-installing knoppix... ARGH. But it's worth it :-)

Similar Threads

  1. windows XP SP2 no longer boots after using knoppix 3.6
    By MrReapa in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-11-2005, 11:14 PM
  2. 1GB pen drive w/knoppix image boots but cant start linux...
    By ScottP in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-08-2005, 07:03 PM
  3. Windows GUI on Linux is possible!
    By Hunkah in forum Ideas
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-29-2004, 08:02 AM
  4. How to install WINDOWS 2000 besides LINUX and WINDOWS 98
    By legal in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-15-2004, 04:33 PM
  5. Problem - boots, boots.....and so
    By j0x in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-01-2003, 12:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vacuum/Air Duster Super Power Mini Car Vacuum Cleaner 4-in-1 air Blower Gun picture

Vacuum/Air Duster Super Power Mini Car Vacuum Cleaner 4-in-1 air Blower Gun

$64.35



LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to... picture

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...

$167.63



V3 Robot Vacuum and Mop Combo,Self-Charging,5000pa Strong Suction,WiFi/Alexa NIB picture

V3 Robot Vacuum and Mop Combo,Self-Charging,5000pa Strong Suction,WiFi/Alexa NIB

$82.00



Compressed Air Duster 1 Button Adjustment 12000 RPM Air Blower Car Home Keyboard picture

Compressed Air Duster 1 Button Adjustment 12000 RPM Air Blower Car Home Keyboard

$38.99



Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW picture

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW

$13.89



Compressed Air Duster Rechargeable Computer Vacuum Cleaner for PC Keyboard Toys picture

Compressed Air Duster Rechargeable Computer Vacuum Cleaner for PC Keyboard Toys

$16.99



2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM picture

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM

$37.99



Cordless Electric Mini Air Duster Blower Vacuum Cleaner for PC Computer Car Home picture

Cordless Electric Mini Air Duster Blower Vacuum Cleaner for PC Computer Car Home

$16.99



Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe picture

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe

$53.99



95000PA Wireless Car Vacuum Cleaner Air Blower Wireless Handheld Rechargeable US picture

95000PA Wireless Car Vacuum Cleaner Air Blower Wireless Handheld Rechargeable US

$21.98