apt-getting or kliking it would be easiest IMO.
Hello, I am trying to install a "tar.bz2" archieve. The software is SKYPE, but with the direction shown on thier website KNOPPIX says: the file doesn't look like a tar archieve. It seems that this type of file depends on QT, but even after downloading the version that contain it I have the same error? What I have to do?
Thanks.
apt-getting or kliking it would be easiest IMO.
Save yourself a whole bunch of headache. Deb package for sfype is available here: http://www.bootsplash.de/files/debia.../skype-static/
Use .deb package whenever possible, google for the package name then search within results for .deb.
Rats, forgot that skype wasn't in the debian repositories. Anyway have a look at http://www.apt-get.org/ when you can't find a package from debian. There's a lot of stuff there.
I'll try that. I will keep You posted!!!![]()
Yes!!! http://www.bootsplash.de/files/debia.../skype-static/ works flawless!!! Thank You. Now what I have to do to put a Skype icon on my panel? It will be much easier thatn "RUN".
Thank You.
To create a desktop icon:Originally Posted by xaviers2002
Rt click on desktop, choose create new then link to application. The minimum you need to fill in is the application name & rename the link (otherwise it will just say 'link to application'). To add an icon click on the icon box on the general properties tab. You can edit properties again later if necessary.
OR,
if the application is list in the start menu, drag'n'drop copy the entry from the start menu to the desktop. Sometimes this will work better, sometimes the application runs through a startup file rather than directly starting the application.
Unlike windows, Linux can use many formats for icon files, jpg & png being the most common. This means you can easily create your own icons if there is none available. For instance you could clip a picture of yourself from a photo (using gimp image editor) or a logo from a website from a screenshot then resize it to use a desktop icon.
Originally Posted by xaviers2002
What command did you use initially, out of curiosity.
A ".tar.bz2" extension suggests a tar file, thats
been deflated using "bzip2".
It should just be a matter of doing...
] tar -jxf filename.tar.bz2
If it was deflated using "gzip", then you would do,
] tar -zxf filename.tar.bz
Doing ...
] tar -[z|j]tf filename.tar.[bz|bz2]
will tabulate the contents. It's handy sometimes
to have a look first.
jm
I usually add the v option. The command would look:Originally Posted by jjmac
BTW, when you save your configuration to a persistent media, it is compressed with the bz2 extension.Code:tar -[z|j]vtf filename.tar.[bz|bz2]
--GN
I have used: ?tar xjvf skype-version.tar.bz2?. Just what the skype web site says. Strange isn't it. It seems that the software needs QT 3.2. I have downloaded even the version that has it... some story.Originally Posted by jjmac

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch
$439.00
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99
Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New
$101.99
Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99
Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords
$205.00
CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B, SKU 16188
$24.94
Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960X-48FPD-L 48-Port Gigabit Managed PoE+ Ethernet Switch
$69.99
Cisco WS-C3850-48P-S 48-Port PoE+ Gigabit Switch w/ 10G Uplink Module Options
$259.99
Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960+24TC-S 24-Port Gigabit Managed SFP Switch
$39.99
CISCO INDUSTRIAL SWITCH IE-3100-8T2C-E New
$1049.00