ISO 9660 standards limit any individual file on a DVD to 2 megs in size.
I have make a post in the remstring area but I haven't a reply....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I remastering a dvd version. The knoppix image file is 2,8 GB and the cd versions start without problem but when I add a directory with the file and I remastering my version I receive the error "Can't find a KNOPPIX Filesystem" when I start my new dvd. Somebody can't help me about this error?
I used all option in boot string but isn't a solutio
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pleas help me....
ISO 9660 standards limit any individual file on a DVD to 2 megs in size.
Can I resolve the problem? I have a 2.6 ISO size
The ISO size is not the issue. I stated any individual file within the iso was limited to 2 gigs, not the iso itself. One way to resolve it seems almost too obvious. There have been some other work arounds discussed in these forums; I've never done any myself.Originally Posted by rabinhood
Sorry I don't speak english very well and I can't search the right topic. Can you link me please.
Robinhood;
I would suggest that you install .cmg files which reduce the size by 50% and utilize cramfs files . These files are "on-the-fly" decoded when you run them.
Many of these files are available through the Klik system and would certainly provide a reduction in your DVD load.
This could best be implemented by eliminating enough of the DVD program to allow it to be burned. Then add the .cmg files after the burn to DVD such that they are available with a single click on the desktop.
I haven't tried the install of .cmg files within a DVD burn although I have no reason to believe it won't work.
Essentially, the use of cramfs to initiate .cmg files provides a second compression within the Knoppix LiveDVD...the cloop and .cmg compressions.
Best to you![]()
lilsirecho, I'm doing what you describe w/o problems. Nice to have a DVD consisting of core Knoppix/Kanotix plus 4 GB of additional software
Greetings,
probono
Probono has underlined the DVD possibilities by stating he has increased the DVD software by 4GB using .cmg files..
The original size of the DVD without the added .cmg files is ~2GB which constitutes about 5GB of software "on-the-fly" decoded.
The result is ~9GB of DVD software on the DVD disc "on-the-fly".
The additional .cmg files are 50% compressed and when added to the ~2GB of cloop compressed software on the original DVD produces a fully loaded DVD disc ~4+GB...instead of having ~half of the disc not utilized
It would seem a good solution to the problem you presented.
If you use Linux 2.6 with driver mapper support you can go around 2Gb limit a little bit differently - split your uncompressed image into chunks (on a block boundary) which would compressed into under 2Gb sized images, use separate cloop devices for each of them and then use 'linear' target to put them all together. Try something like this (assuming 65536 block size and 16Gb uncompressed image):
split -b 4294967296 KNOPPIX-UNCOMPRESSED.iso KNOPPIX.iso.
create_compressed_fs KNOPPIX.iso.aa 65536 > KNOPPIX0-gz.iso
create_compressed_fs KNOPPIX.iso.ab 65536 > KNOPPIX1-gz.iso
create_compressed_fs KNOPPIX.iso.ac 65536 > KNOPPIX2-gz.iso
create_compressed_fs KNOPPIX.iso.ad 65536 > KNOPPIX3-gz.iso
modprobe cloop
losetup /dev/loop0 KNOPPIX0-gz.iso
losetup /dev/loop1 KNOPPIX1-gz.iso
losetup /dev/loop2 KNOPPIX2-gz.iso
losetup /dev/loop3.KNOPPIX3-gz.iso
dmsetup create knoppix <<EOF
0 8388608 linear /dev/loop0 0
8388608 8388608 linear /dev/loop1 0
16777216 8388608 linear /dev/loop2 0
25165824 8388608 linear /dev/loop3 0
mount -r -t iso9660 /dev/mapper/knoppix /KNOPPIX
So, here - you'll have your under 2Gb file sizes on iso9660 and a nice 16Gb uncompressed file system.
The only problems are that Linux 2.4 does not have device mapper and you need to adjust your mounting schema for /KNOPPIX during boot.
Hope it helps,
Cheers,
Igor
P.S. It may not work with the current create_compressed_fs due to a small bug - it adds an extra block if uncompressed image size is evenly divided by the block size. It doesn't show up when you have just one image, but with many it will show up in the middle of your file system.
If you have python installed you can use "my cloop python utilities"ftp://belyi.ac93.org/pub/cloop-pyutils.tar.gz as a workaround. Otherwise, you should apply a tiny patch provided with a debian bug report: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=296179
belyi;
Appreciate your discussion of alternate methods to create DVD media with large uncompressed files (quote 16GB).
I would assume that such uncompressed files of this size would be slower in execution than compressed files (.cmg 50% or zisofs 50% compression).
This conclusion is based on the search time required to find the application.
The use of .cmg files installed after the burn provides the option of deleting and adding files to utilize new applications.
This suggests a combination of burned .cmg files and post-burn .cmg files as being more versatile as well as faster in execution.
Very nice to hear of your application of another method.![]()

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00
Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99
Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98
Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49
DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid
$139.99
Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz 8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER
$94.94
Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00
Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00