-
My WinXP couldn't boot after trying to install Slackware10
I had a PC with WInXP OS, it has a single Hard Disk with exsisting partitions(fat32) like this:
hda1
hda5
hda6
Before I tried to install Slackware, I allocated all free space on HD to creat 2 partitions by QTparted: hda3 (ext2), hda4 (linux Swap), but the installation process halted accidentlly when I setup linux swap partition that I had to exit installation, as you can guess, bad thing happened: My WinXP OS can't boot any more.
When i tried to reboot into windows, it froze after windows xp logo appeared. then I tried to boot in WINXP safemode, failed, tried to do a system restore to the last restore point; also failed, only made computer stopped and rebooted, stopped and rebooted, time and again...
What can I do now? How can i rescue my OS with knoppix? any help would be appreciated. btw: I've search all forums here on this topic, but havnen't got the answer
-
Senior Member
registered user
Fix Your MBR
Sounds like your MBR got trashed during the install. Lilo probably wrote over it.
You need to get out you XP install CD and boot from it.
You will need to do a repair (type R)
on the installation by getting into the command console.
When you get into the command console use the command "FixMBR" It will re-write the MBR back.
sakiZ
Similar Threads
-
By thebeing in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-29-2007, 11:22 PM
-
By ziyad in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-20-2005, 10:16 AM
-
By bob58 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 15
Last Post: 02-09-2005, 07:45 PM
-
By Shenr0n in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 10-08-2003, 01:32 AM
-
By wardialer in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 04-07-2003, 12:28 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$108.92

IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5" Server Hard Drive
$200.00

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A
$1731.00

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE
$295.00

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs
$49.99

IBM Server Rackmount Sliding Rail Kit ( Part Numbers: 00D9375 / 00D9374 )
$24.99