Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: USB-memory not detected during boot. But works later.

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Umeå, Sweden
    Posts
    16

    USB-memory not detected during boot. But works later.

    Hi! (I'm using KNOPPIX 3.2 from 2003-03-30)

    For some reason on my computer KNOPPIX refuses to detect my USB-memory that I want to use as a persistent homedirectory. I don't know the reason for this but maybe it has something to do with my SCSI-card or maybe my USB-mouse or my USB-scanner.

    If, when KNOPPIX is done booting, I manually load the module usb-storage by typing modprobe usb-storage I have access to the device. But that is too late to use it as a persistent homedirectory. (after boot lsmod shows that the usb-storage module is NOT loaded)

    Is there a way to force KNOPPIX to load the usb-storage module during boot?

    On my friends computers it works without any problems.

    My system:

    AMD XP1500+
    MSI K7T266 Pro2
    256Mb DDR
    2 x 80 Gb WD harddrives (hda and hdc)
    1 x 18,3 Gb IBM UltraStar SCSI (sda)
    1 x DVD-rom (hdb)
    1 x PlexWriter SCSI (sr1)
    1 x Plextor Ultraplex SCSI (sr0)
    Tekram DC-390F (SCSI-card)
    3Com Etherlink XL 100Mbit
    PoV Geforce3 Ti200 128Mb DDR
    AOpen AW744 (soundcard)
    bt878-based TV-card (Hauppage)
    Logitec MouseMan Dual Optical (USB-mouse)
    Canon FB630 (USB-scanner)


    /LinuxSam

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Have a look at /etc/modules

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Umeå, Sweden
    Posts
    16
    That works when I boot a regular system from harddrive yeah.
    But it is kind of a problem when I boot KNOPPIX from CD. don't you think?

    or have I missed something?


    /LinuxSam

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Well yes that's true. What I was getting at is; is it in there? Is it supposed to be loaded at boot? I thought it was. If it is then why isn't it loading? Does dmesg tell you anything about it.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Umeå, Sweden
    Posts
    16
    Ok... that's what you where after... I'll boot it and see what I get...

    BRB...

    /LinuxSam

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Umeå, Sweden
    Posts
    16
    Well, now I'm inside KNOPPIX and actually there is nothing inside /etc/modules atleast not any modules listed. Just some text.

    dmesg only tells me:

    hub.c: new USB device 00:11.2-2, assigned address 3
    usb.c: USB device 3 (vend/prod 0xea0/0x6803) is not claimed by any active driver.
    but when I load the module manually with modprobe usb-storage I get this:

    Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
    usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
    scsi2 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
    Vendor: OTi Model: Flash Disk Rev: 1.11
    Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    Attached scsi removable disk sdb at scsi2, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
    SCSI device sdb: 258048 512-byte hdwr sectors (132 MB)
    sdb: Write Protect is off
    sdb: sdb1 sdb2
    WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
    USB Mass Storage device found at 3
    USB Mass Storage support registered.
    And that is what I get on my friends computers during boot. But for some reason on this computer it fails to detect it...

    /LinuxSam

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    You are luckier than me, when I said "modprobe usb-storage", I get nothing. Well, at least now I know the my usb-storage module isn't doing the proper thing and don't need to blindly search around those /dev/sd?

    Would any linux expert give me a hint on why usb-storage did nothing as supposed on my machine ?

    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxSam
    but when I load the module manually with modprobe usb-storage I get this:

    Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
    usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
    scsi2 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
    Vendor: OTi Model: Flash Disk Rev: 1.11
    Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    Attached scsi removable disk sdb at scsi2, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
    SCSI device sdb: 258048 512-byte hdwr sectors (132 MB)
    sdb: Write Protect is off
    sdb: sdb1 sdb2
    WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
    USB Mass Storage device found at 3
    USB Mass Storage support registered.
    And that is what I get on my friends computers during boot. But for some reason on this computer it fails to detect it...

    /LinuxSam

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Umeå, Sweden
    Posts
    16
    what do you get in your log when you unplug and plugin you USB-memory? anything?
    if you get nothing, are you sure the USB-memory works? have you tried it in another OS? on another computer?

    and I hope that you did the modprobe usb-storage with root priveliges, right?

    /LinuxSam

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    This is what I got :

    Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
    usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
    usb-uhci.c: interrupt, status 2, frame# 306
    scsi1 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
    WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
    USB Mass Storage device found at 2
    USB Mass Storage support registered.
    The difference I see is that the usb-storage module refuse to assign it to a sd? device and if it is not strange enough, The KDE info center does tell me that there is a USB Compact flash & microdrive reader with the following information :

    Vendor ID : 0x7c4(DataFab System Inc.)
    Product ID : Oxa400(Compact Flash /Microdrive Reader)

    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxSam
    what do you get in your log when you unplug and plugin you USB-memory? anything?
    if you get nothing, are you sure the USB-memory works? have you tried it in another OS? on another computer?

    and I hope that you did the modprobe usb-storage with root priveliges, right?

    /LinuxSam

  10. #10
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Umeå, Sweden
    Posts
    16
    you could ofcourse force the device to be detected as something else... by supplying options for the module.

    Is the manufacturer information correct? or is that wrong too?

    /LinuxSam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-10-2005, 09:39 AM
  2. Older computer--CD boot works fine, HDD boot means console o
    By Particle in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-19-2005, 03:25 PM
  3. Boot up/memory problem (new to Linux)
    By benedict1000 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-30-2004, 11:47 AM
  4. Good USB memory stick to boot from.
    By ricsto in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-20-2004, 12:46 PM
  5. 1 GB memory boot ISO image run entirely from memory?
    By rrolsbe in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-12-2003, 09:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A

$49.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$36.99



Samsung 250GB SSD 850 EVO 2.5

Samsung 250GB SSD 850 EVO 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive MZ7LN250 MZ-75E250

$25.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5

Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD

$29.99



Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot

$75.99