Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: text color 'shifted' in XFree86 4.3 and Mozilla 1.3

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872

    text color 'shifted' in XFree86 4.3 and Mozilla 1.3

    Hi, is there any XFree86 expert here that may give me some clue what happens ?

    The text in Mozilla 1.3(for certain font type) seems to have the color 'shifted' in a sense like the RGB doesn't fall on the same pixel position at the same time so say for example character 'H', I can see a 'blue' for the left 'I' and and 'red' for the right 'I'.

    I suspect this has something to to with the horizontal sync of the monitor. My machine is a LCD on i810(Inspiron 2500 notebook). I didn't see this in XFree86 4.2 with Mozilla 1.2(in the KNOPPIX CEBIT ISO image). It is very annoying.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Royal Oak, Michigan USA
    Posts
    199

    Re: text color 'shifted' in XFree86 4.3 and Mozilla 1.3

    Quote Originally Posted by garyng
    The text in Mozilla 1.3 (for certain font type) seems to have the color 'shifted' in a sense like the RGB doesn't fall on the same pixel position at the same time so say for example character 'H', I can see a 'blue' for the left 'I' and and 'red' for the right 'I'.
    I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that it's an artifact of the anti-aliasing in XF 4.3 -- I'm experiencing the same thing on my system. Maybe we can find the configuration to modify this behavior.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    So it is a bug in XF86 4.3 ? Unfortunately, this is the most mysterious piece of software in the linux world I know. Its developers is fighting with each other at the moment and there isn't much information I can find on their website

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    79
    I've the same problem. Improved it a little by going to the fonts section of the Control Panel, selecting "Use sub-pixel hinting" and choosing the "Vertical RGB" option.

    Doesn't fix the problem simple changes the colour shift vertically and make it a bit easier to read <shrug!>

    rob

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    thanks for the suggestion, it looks a bit better but still quite annoying. What is more interesting is that, Anit-Aliasing is not enabled when I launch the control panel but Mozilla still use it. Well, it only applies to certain fonts and I don't know if it is a problem of 4.3 or Mozilla 1.3 as KNOPPIX changed both at the same time.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    OK. I fall back to the CEBIT image and it seems that Mozilla 1.2 use a complete different set of font than in 1.3. It used adobe-* stuff, it looks much nicer.

    Now can I use these fonts instead of those in the new XF 4.3 ones that looks so ugly and annoying ?

Similar Threads

  1. Text in Mozilla is fuzzy
    By helios17 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-14-2004, 02:17 AM
  2. Added HD, now devices are shifted - how to? (resolved)
    By Cuddles in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-01-2004, 11:43 PM
  3. What is your favorite color?
    By ILoveChessAndCompScience in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-20-2004, 04:08 PM
  4. Clicking mailto links in Mozilla opens Mozilla Mail notKMail
    By lavaman094 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-03-2003, 06:32 AM
  5. [u]Crashing[/u].....[b][color=red]HELP PLEASE[/color][/b]
    By johncarlson21 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-22-2003, 08:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



Used Yealink SIP-T46U IP Phones - Black - Bundle of 3 picture

Used Yealink SIP-T46U IP Phones - Black - Bundle of 3

$69.99



VoIP IP Phone with Power Adapters - 1 Year Warranty - Unlocked for Any Provider picture

VoIP IP Phone with Power Adapters - 1 Year Warranty - Unlocked for Any Provider

$165.99



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H picture

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H

$19.99



Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked) picture

Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked)

$18.99



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



Yealink MP54 - VoIP Phone - Black Teams phone Android POE WIFI Bluetooth picture

Yealink MP54 - VoIP Phone - Black Teams phone Android POE WIFI Bluetooth

$49.95



Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB picture

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB

$27.07