Using Knoppix 3.7 - installed to the hard disk.
The machine is connected to an ADSL router. I can connect to and mount a Windows 98 share but not to a Windows XP share. The Windows XP is on a domain.
For example, if I type smbclient //andyson01/clientfiles -U victor%password, I get "Connection to the andyson01 failed".
I think, perhaps the SAMBA Server is not starting, as from the Windows 98 machine the Knoppix machine is not showing up and under LAN Browser I get the following message:
"The Lisa daemon deos not appear to be running. In order to use the LAN Browser the Lisa daemon must be installed and activatated by the system administrator"
I tried one of the utilities available ("Start Samba Server"). But appears to make no difference.
I have been trying out another Linux distribution (Linspire), and I do not have this problem.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Victor Warner

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00
KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99
Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99
KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99
VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85
$8.00
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42
$7.00
Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$34.01