It's a while since I booted from the live CD (come to think of it, last time was Kanotix) but if that doesn't work, try:Originally Posted by jaredbadger
linux26 knoppix atapicd nodma
or
linux26 knoppix nodma
knoppix26 atapicd nodma
It's a while since I booted from the live CD (come to think of it, last time was Kanotix) but if that doesn't work, try:Originally Posted by jaredbadger
linux26 knoppix atapicd nodma
or
linux26 knoppix nodma
Hi I'm a newbie to linux and knoppix.
I downloaded knoppix 3.8.1 and burned it to a cd. However when I try booting it, it freezes.
When I start up computer (bios is set to boot from cd) the Knoppix 3.8.1 screen appears.
I press [Enter] next to the word 'Boot:'
it goes:
Loading linux24...
Loading minirt24.gz...
Loading...
Then the pc will hang and I have to press the reboot button.
Anyone have any idea what the problem is? or what i should do?
PC Stats:
Pentium IV Northwood 2.66
256MB RAM
Video Memory 128MB
Mobo Asrock P4AL-8X
Hardrive no1: 80GB
Hardrive no2: 120GB
DVDWriter Lite-On SOHW-1653S
any help much appreciated
First, make sure you have a good download of the ISO.Originally Posted by zephyr
Download an MD5 sum checker, for example:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/md5summer/
Run this and if the MD5 sum prodcued matches the published MD5 sum you then have a GOOD ISO.
With the above completed try the following:
When the boot: prompt appears type
knoppix nodma noapic noscsi nodhcp nousb
See what happens, you may need to repeat this several times and change the various codes after the work knoppix from the list of available one, press F2 or F3 to when the first screen with the boot: prompt appears to see a list of codes.
Some of the ones you may need to use are: nousb nopcmcia
One at a time remove each of the codes, working from the end, till it freezes again on boot. Thats the problem source. Put that noxxxx code back and go from there.
An older machine I use to test things out was very difficult to get to boot an older Knoppix version it took the better part of 3 days on/off/on to get a working combo to the commad line. Later versions have gotten quite a lot better at booting the first time out even on the old hardware I use as the main linux/Knoppix box. I am down to a DMA and xserver settings on this when trying newer CD's. X just wants to use out of range settings for my video card & monitor when left to its own devices, and the DMA issue is a know BIOS issue, which I fix later with a hdparm command.
Its TRIAL and ERROR. WRITE DOWN each line you try so you know what you've done. When you get a working boot the LAST code you added will be the problem. DMA, USB, SCSI PCMCIA, DHCP and APIC are some of the biggest problem causes.
At the point it freezes up my first hunch is a bad ISO and thus the reason to make sure you have a good download.

Vintage IBM Mainframe System Board IBM 14 Transistor Chip Circuit
$44.99
HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer
$157.30
HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage
$157.93
Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation
$500.00
One Of A Kind Homemade Vintage Mainframe Computer, Logic Module Wood Bookends
$149.00
Vintage IBM Mainframe System Board IBM 14 Transistor Chip Circuit Gold
$44.99
Vintage IBM XT 5160 PC Computer 640KB RAM with Expansions (Powers On As Is)
$350.00
Vintage 1977 IBM System/360 Punch Card Program Archive SimSci SSI RPG Mainframe
$449.99
Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25
$799.00
VINTAGE Artecon LX-1558FN HDD EOD SubSystem Mainframe POWERS ON RARE
$299.99