-
Multiple CDROM drives
I am running Knoppix 3.4 and would like to be able to install a second cdrom drive.
I currently have a cd-rw drive installed and it works no problem.
I tried to install a DVDROM drive and Knoppix reccognized the drive and there is an icon for it under devices.
When I try to access the DVD drive Knoppix goes to the CD-RW drive instead.
What do I need to do in order to use both CD drives?
I am fairly new to linux but have been able to use various commands to write the neccessary mounts for both the floppy and the cdrom in another version of linux I have on another machine.
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks, Ray K
-
Ray,
This could be similar to the problem I'm having (although I'm using Knoppix 3.7).
When your system is booting up, have a look at the screen. Your CD, DVD and HDs
will be shown detailing their make and type etc. Next to them will be something like
hda (for your hard disk) etc.
On my system (Matshita DVD-Rom, Philips CD-RW), knoppix reports these as being
hdc and hdd respectively.
You might want to try subsituting the names you get into your mount command
So instead of /dev/cdrom or /dev/scd1 or whatever use /dev/hdd.
Also, try posting the results of
There might be something in there to give a clue as to what's going on.
Cheers,
Conor
-
Senior Member
registered user
I would try the simplest thing first
Right click on the dvd icon and go to properties, see what knoppix has selected for the device
If the device selected isn't the dvd then you can try and change it. Sometimes you may need to
create a new device ( right click on the desktop ) and select the correct drive as I explained above.
Under kernel 2.4 scsi emulation can sometimes cause problems. Under emulation cd drives are often /dev/scd0 or 1
But befroe getting into that see if creating a new device and selecting the correct drive gets you access to the drive.
"dmesg" at a terminal will provide most of the start up messages and/or hardware found during booting.
Good luck.
Similar Threads
-
By voteslave in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 04-27-2007, 08:50 PM
-
By Dredman in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-07-2006, 10:42 PM
-
By orj in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-05-2004, 03:36 AM
-
By rbivins in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-27-2004, 03:44 AM
-
By Koga in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-11-2003, 12:07 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo - Yoga 7i 2-in-1 16" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core Ultra 5 Proces...
$749.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$398.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 14" i7-1165G7 2.80GHz 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Windows 11
$284.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD
$219.99

LENOVO THINKPAD T14 GEN 2i CORE I7-11165G7 2.8GHZ 16GB 256 SSD WCAM WI1 CORD
$235.00

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good
$261.99

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3 15.6" Full HD Laptop - AMD Ryzen 5 40 2025 - 8GB Memo...
$379.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core [email protected] Laptop
$259.25