Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Hard Disk Not Recognised

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5

    Hard Disk Not Recognised

    I boot from Knoppix, everything comes up fine.
    As it's booting, the system correctly spots my 1) hard drive, 2) DVD and 3) CDRW
    reporting the manufacturer names and details etc.

    When I get to the desktop, I have no HD* icon.
    I try a simple manual mount and nothing.

    Could it be because the hard-drive has no partitions? It's only a 13Gb drive that
    (quite happily) runs Win98.

    [Also, when I get to the desktop the CDRW drive cannot be configured for K3B.]

    Any suggestions on how to sort the hard-drive without partitioning?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    could you post output from the comands below please, it will help me help you.
    Code:
    dmesg|grep ATA
    Code:
    dmesg|grep hd
    Code:
    dmesg|grep CD
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    Code:
    cat /etc/fstab
    Code:
    dmesg|grep mount
    Code:
    mount

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5
    OErjan,

    I actually managed to get it going. What I did was boot from my
    MandrakeMove CD. I have used it before but had forgotten that it
    correctly spotted the Windows partition.

    I copied the /etc/fstab file to a USB key and then rebooted with Knoppix

    When it came up, the entry for the hd in /etc/fstab (knoppix) was something
    like

    /dev/hda /mnt/hda auto noauto,user ...... (sorry, can't remember the rest)

    So I tried two things:

    1) Added the line (from MandrakeMove) to the /etc/fstab in knoppix:
    Code:
    /dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0,0,0
    That worked! Happy days. Then I thought I should be able to do it from the prompt and so...

    2) I used this line on the prompt (having first deleted the entry I used in /etc/fstab
    Code:
    mount -t vfat -o codepage=850,umask=0,0,0 /dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c
    That also worked. Hurray. My faith in Linux is restored.

    Now my question becomes why is it that MandrakeMove can spot the config correctly,
    but Knoppix can't - especially given that it's supposed to be so good at hardware.

    Finally, the CD-Burner seemed to sort itself out in Knoppix. And even if it doesn't, I
    can still use the line from the /etc/fstab of MandrakeMove, which did work.
    (Just out of interest, Knoppix and Mandrake lists the CD drives as hdc (dvd-rom) and hdd (cd-rw).

    I will try to post the results which you asked for - maybe this is something that can be sorted
    for future releases.

    PS - I even tried booting to both the 2.4.x and the 2.6.y kernels with the same result, although
    it made a difference with the USB key: 2.4 used /dev/sda1, 2.6 used /dev/usb1 (or some such)

    Cheers,
    Conor.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5
    OK, Further details on this problem.

    I got the Knoppix Hacks book today, which comes with knoppix 3.4 on disk.

    I Fired it up and hey presto it recognised the hard disk correctly, as well as the CDRW.

    Seems like maybe there's a bug in the 3.7 release or something has crept in since
    3.4

    I will test it on my laptop at work to see what happens and post the results.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix from Hard Disk (need help)
    By jorrigal in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-11-2007, 04:47 PM
  2. Raid0 hard drive not recognised
    By nosmo_king in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-09-2007, 03:07 PM
  3. Hard Disk Problem
    By vijirin in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-21-2007, 09:23 AM
  4. Help Mounting Hard Disk
    By mouse8469 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-11-2006, 06:12 PM
  5. Cannot Mount Hard Disk
    By Varkie in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-09-2006, 06:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$239.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T495 14” Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T495 14” Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11

$229.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11

$374.99



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$319.99



Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2i 14

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2i 14" 16GB 512GB, Black

$313.00



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD

$219.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 3 14

Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 3 14" FHD Laptop i5 12th Gen 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11

$329.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Windows 11 PRO Laptop Notebook PC Computer, 8GB Ram, Webcam, Wifi, and HDMI picture

Windows 11 PRO Laptop Notebook PC Computer, 8GB Ram, Webcam, Wifi, and HDMI

$144.00