Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Poor Mans Install gets to DHCP broadcast and then stops

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4

    Poor Mans Install gets to DHCP broadcast and then stops

    I just did a Poor Mans Install according to http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition

    After figuring out that my c: partition was on the second partition of my drive (the guide actually mentioned HP Pavilions in the notes) I got Knoppix 3.7 to boot to the hardware detection scripts

    It gets past the USB, firewire, soundcard and video detection just fine

    It gets all the way to the network configuration with the last line displayed being:

    Network device eth0 detected, DHCP broadcasting for IP. (Backgrounding)

    Then it just sits there.

    I have booted this same computer with a knoppix CD several times. This is the first time that I am doing the Poor Man method. I am using the same ISO that I used to boot with a CD.

    Any ideas on how I can troubleshoot this?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4
    I was able to get my poor man's install to boot using kernel 24 instead of 26 I always ran kernal 26 from the cd so this is kind of weird

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    205
    When I boot to 2.6, the message that comes up on the screen after dhcp broadcasting refers to the CD drive. And people doing regular HD installs are finding that their CD drive doesn't work.

    What fixed mine was to make a change in /etc/fstab so that

    /dev/cdrom was either

    /dev/scd0 or

    /dev/sr0 (which is symlinked to /dev/scd0).

    Something else to check is the drive's mount point. Knoppix-installer builds /etc/fstab so that it's

    /cdrom, which is the Debian way of doing things, but the desktop icon (using kdm, anyway) is

    /mnt/cdrom, so you might want to change that in one place or the other.

    While you're in /etc/fstab, if you want the CD drive to be mounted automatically (so you don't have to do it manually each time you boot), change noauto to either auto or just delete that word.

    -- Ed

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Re: Poor Mans Install gets to DHCP broadcast and then stops

    Quote Originally Posted by DataSurfer
    I just did a Poor Mans Install according to http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition

    After figuring out that my c: partition was on the second partition of my drive (the guide actually mentioned HP Pavilions in the notes) I got Knoppix 3.7 to boot to the hardware detection scripts

    It gets past the USB, firewire, soundcard and video detection just fine

    It gets all the way to the network configuration with the last line displayed being:

    Network device eth0 detected, DHCP broadcasting for IP. (Backgrounding)

    Then it just sits there.

    I have booted this same computer with a knoppix CD several times. This is the first time that I am doing the Poor Man method. I am using the same ISO that I used to boot with a CD.

    Any ideas on how I can troubleshoot this?
    try booting 'knoppix failsafe tohd=scan'. You may have to do Knoppix (menu item) -> configure network card after it boots. Doesn't may sense that it boots from the CD but not from the HD though. I don't think it is the CD problem, there is a bug her but it doesn't usually prevent booting.

Similar Threads

  1. Eloquent Poor-mans Install
    By Dr PC Tunes in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-26-2005, 08:29 AM
  2. poor mans install for knoppix 3.3
    By metavoid in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-07-2005, 08:40 AM
  3. Poor Mans Install WinPartition
    By guyana in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-15-2004, 02:10 AM
  4. Questions about a poor mans install
    By 00zero in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-20-2004, 09:33 AM
  5. 3.4 Poor Mans Install with Loadlin
    By Kumagoro in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-13-2004, 04:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR picture

INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR

$23.00



INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG picture

INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG

$299.99



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$67.99



Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor

$62.95



Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor

$175.00



PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU picture

PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU

$15.99