Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Linux Newbie needs help!!!

  1. #1
    ihatemyusername
    Guest

    Linux Newbie needs help!!!

    So I burned the iso to disk and made a bootable CD and all. Now, when I start up from the disk, all I get is a command prompt. I tried typing knoppix and that didn't work and I tried "ls" and that didn't work either. What exactly am I supposed to type at this initial startup screen??

    Thanks for the help,

    ihate

  2. #2
    pat
    Guest

    startx?

    hello,

    don't understand what is your problem, you start up from the disk... the cdrom or hdisk?
    you are in a command prompt, then you are not in X (graphic), then try startx...
    do you have enough memory? how many memory?

    i hope it can help you...

    pat

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    100

    command prompt

    I may be wrong but I think I know what you did.You burned the iso and made it bootable with some program like nero and now you see a "[Dr-Dos] a:/" prompt or something dont you...

    The iso is already bootable so all you do is to burn it you DO NOT need to set the burning program your using to "make bootable cd" or anything.If your using nero to butn (it's been over a year since i ran win/nero) you do something like close the wizzard go right to the main screen where you have the split window to drag/drop files then browse to the image and up at the top left of the window where it says "file,edit,whatever" just click "file" and on the menu that drops down click something like "burn image".If by any chance your running winxp then do yourself a favor and google for the free iso recorder power toy so you can just right click an iso and burn it.This link may also help http://www.petri.co.il/howto_write_iso_files.htm

    If my guess is right and you made it a bootable cd then your burning app overwrote the Knoppix boot image with a free one from dr dos or something.

  4. #4
    user
    Guest

    enter

    "So I burned the iso to disk and made a bootable CD and all. Now, when I start up from the disk, all I get is a command prompt. I tried typing knoppix and that didn't work and I tried "ls" and that didn't work either. What exactly am I supposed to type at this initial startup screen?? "

    Press ENTER

  5. #5
    Guest
    5. for english language type in "knoppix lang=us" without the quotes when you arrive at the text screen. the = is shift+0, atleast for me.

    posted on another forum by dhtp

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    73
    if you did what Tech2k said u did, then he has the fix for it. If you are getting a picture of the linux penguin and what not, then u are at the boot screen. all u need to do is hit enter if u downloaded the -EN iso. if u downloaded the -dE iso, type knoppix lang=us. thats all there is to iut.

Similar Threads

  1. New to linux and knoppix and some newbie question.
    By Shaba1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-21-2004, 01:41 AM
  2. linux newbie
    By dugtrio85 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-29-2004, 10:14 PM
  3. Linux Newbie
    By djtwok in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-09-2004, 06:46 PM
  4. Linux Newbie Getting Close But Not Quite There
    By bighdaddy1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-11-2004, 02:40 AM
  5. Help for a Linux newbie
    By ThePatrioticDickhead in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-11-2003, 09:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS

$65.00



Kingston 16GB DDR4 3200MHz PC4-3200AA-SA2-12 Laptop RAM SODIMM (HP32D4S2S8ME-16) picture

Kingston 16GB DDR4 3200MHz PC4-3200AA-SA2-12 Laptop RAM SODIMM (HP32D4S2S8ME-16)

$64.99



Samsung 256GB (8x32GB) DDR4 3200 ECC RDIMM Server RAM M393A4K40EB3 picture

Samsung 256GB (8x32GB) DDR4 3200 ECC RDIMM Server RAM M393A4K40EB3

$2000.00



RAM G. SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB 2x16GB DDR4 3200 CL16 F43200C16Q64GVK Matched picture

RAM G. SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB 2x16GB DDR4 3200 CL16 F43200C16Q64GVK Matched

$149.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Lot 4 Samsung 64gb PC4-25600 2Rx4 DDR4-3200AA ECC RDIMM Reg Server Memory RAM picture

Lot 4 Samsung 64gb PC4-25600 2Rx4 DDR4-3200AA ECC RDIMM Reg Server Memory RAM

$3199.00



[ BULK LOT OF 10 ] UNITS of 8GB DDR4 Laptop RAM SAMSUNG, HYNIX etc. picture

[ BULK LOT OF 10 ] UNITS of 8GB DDR4 Laptop RAM SAMSUNG, HYNIX etc.

$299.99



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM picture

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM

$85.00