Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Linux Newbie needs help!!!

  1. #1
    ihatemyusername
    Guest

    Linux Newbie needs help!!!

    So I burned the iso to disk and made a bootable CD and all. Now, when I start up from the disk, all I get is a command prompt. I tried typing knoppix and that didn't work and I tried "ls" and that didn't work either. What exactly am I supposed to type at this initial startup screen??

    Thanks for the help,

    ihate

  2. #2
    pat
    Guest

    startx?

    hello,

    don't understand what is your problem, you start up from the disk... the cdrom or hdisk?
    you are in a command prompt, then you are not in X (graphic), then try startx...
    do you have enough memory? how many memory?

    i hope it can help you...

    pat

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    100

    command prompt

    I may be wrong but I think I know what you did.You burned the iso and made it bootable with some program like nero and now you see a "[Dr-Dos] a:/" prompt or something dont you...

    The iso is already bootable so all you do is to burn it you DO NOT need to set the burning program your using to "make bootable cd" or anything.If your using nero to butn (it's been over a year since i ran win/nero) you do something like close the wizzard go right to the main screen where you have the split window to drag/drop files then browse to the image and up at the top left of the window where it says "file,edit,whatever" just click "file" and on the menu that drops down click something like "burn image".If by any chance your running winxp then do yourself a favor and google for the free iso recorder power toy so you can just right click an iso and burn it.This link may also help http://www.petri.co.il/howto_write_iso_files.htm

    If my guess is right and you made it a bootable cd then your burning app overwrote the Knoppix boot image with a free one from dr dos or something.

  4. #4
    user
    Guest

    enter

    "So I burned the iso to disk and made a bootable CD and all. Now, when I start up from the disk, all I get is a command prompt. I tried typing knoppix and that didn't work and I tried "ls" and that didn't work either. What exactly am I supposed to type at this initial startup screen?? "

    Press ENTER

  5. #5
    Guest
    5. for english language type in "knoppix lang=us" without the quotes when you arrive at the text screen. the = is shift+0, atleast for me.

    posted on another forum by dhtp

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    73
    if you did what Tech2k said u did, then he has the fix for it. If you are getting a picture of the linux penguin and what not, then u are at the boot screen. all u need to do is hit enter if u downloaded the -EN iso. if u downloaded the -dE iso, type knoppix lang=us. thats all there is to iut.

Similar Threads

  1. New to linux and knoppix and some newbie question.
    By Shaba1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-21-2004, 01:41 AM
  2. linux newbie
    By dugtrio85 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-29-2004, 10:14 PM
  3. Linux Newbie
    By djtwok in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-09-2004, 06:46 PM
  4. Linux Newbie Getting Close But Not Quite There
    By bighdaddy1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-11-2004, 02:40 AM
  5. Help for a Linux newbie
    By ThePatrioticDickhead in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-11-2003, 09:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12 picture

SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12

$1599.99



SK Hynix 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200MHz ECC UDIMM RAM PC4-3200AA KIT picture

SK Hynix 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200MHz ECC UDIMM RAM PC4-3200AA KIT

$150.00



Micron 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA MTA18ASF2G72PDZ-3G2R1TI ECC REG Server Memory RAM picture

Micron 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA MTA18ASF2G72PDZ-3G2R1TI ECC REG Server Memory RAM

$180.00



2 in 1 USB 3.0 Card Reader Micro TF card Reader usb adapter High Speed Cardreder picture

2 in 1 USB 3.0 Card Reader Micro TF card Reader usb adapter High Speed Cardreder

$3.99



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Samsung 64GB 2Rx4 PC5-4800B-RA0-1010-XT M321R8GA0BB0-CQKDS DDR5 EC8 RDIMM TH646 picture

Samsung 64GB 2Rx4 PC5-4800B-RA0-1010-XT M321R8GA0BB0-CQKDS DDR5 EC8 RDIMM TH646

$2049.98



SK Hynix 64B PC4-2933Y Server Memory DDR4 RAM HMAA8GR7MJR4N-WM picture

SK Hynix 64B PC4-2933Y Server Memory DDR4 RAM HMAA8GR7MJR4N-WM

$499.99



(LOT OF 18) Kingston 16GB PC3L-10600R DDR3L-1333 2rx4 RDIMM ECC Server RAM picture

(LOT OF 18) Kingston 16GB PC3L-10600R DDR3L-1333 2rx4 RDIMM ECC Server RAM

$180.00



Samsung 16GB 2Rx4 PC3-14900R DDR3 ECC RDIMM M393B2G70DB0-CMA picture

Samsung 16GB 2Rx4 PC3-14900R DDR3 ECC RDIMM M393B2G70DB0-CMA

$49.99