Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Lost eth0 after apt-get upgrade

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    12

    Lost eth0 after apt-get upgrade

    I installed Knoppix 3.7 to my hard drive. All was well, but then I decided to use apt-get to upgrade stuff. Now my eth0 lights up, but is not recognized as a device. There is no entry in /dev for eth0 (I assume there should be). Trying to give eth0 an address, or bring it up using ifconfig yields:

    SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
    eth0: Error while getting interface flags: No such device

    Doing ifconfig only shows the loopback. My /etc/network/interfaces reads as
    follows:

    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

    The /var/log/messages file has nothing of interest.

    During boot, there is something about eth0 being redirected to /dev/null, but I'm not sure why. During the upgrade process it did ask to shut down the PCMCIA service and didn't bring it back up afterwards. The NIC lit up after reboot, so I thought it was fine, but then found otherwise.

    I could just nuke it all and start over, but where's the fun in that? Where can I troubleshoot to find out the cause of why this isn't working. I'm somewhat new to linux, but not a complete newbie.

    Hardware:
    HP Omnibook 4100 laptop
    3Com card-style network adapter
    6gig hard drive

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    This must be a Knoppix style install, right. I had this happen also. (see this post: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14325)
    The boot sequence is /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig which starts everything then /etc/init.d/knoppix-hd-config shuts down then attempts to restart eth0 but is unable to. I have no idea why. I edited /etc/init.d/knoppix-hd-config commenting out the eth0 shutdown/restart bit & it worked.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    235
    Most likely it would have something to do with the pcmcia-cs package being replaced. I assume you replaced it with the developer's version instead of keeping the custom one as configured by knoppix.
    You can partially restore the old version by looking in the /etc/pcmcia directory and look for a file with a dpkg-old extension. Copy the new version to pcmcia.dpkg-new and copy the old version back to pcmcia.
    You'll need to restart the pcmcia service to reinitialize the pcmcia slot(s).

    HTH,

    Durand

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    12
    I looked in the /etc/pcmcia folder and didn't find any old packages. I also couldn't find the file that "CrashedAgain" referenced. This one stumped me but good.
    I finally gave in last night and reinstalled. Everything is working fine, so I will make a note of the pertinent config files, just to make sure I have them right next time.

    I still see the redirection to /dev/null during boot, but networking is working fine, so I evidently have much to learn about this OS.

Similar Threads

  1. How to reactivate eth0?
    By GottaBuild in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-06-2006, 06:29 PM
  2. After apt-get upgrade I have lost all program entries!
    By pako in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-28-2004, 05:20 PM
  3. eth0 problems
    By smartin in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-08-2004, 07:31 PM
  4. problem using apt-get with upgrade/dist-upgrade
    By vesselinpeev in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-26-2003, 09:03 PM
  5. mouse lost after apt-get upgrade
    By ool in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-04-2003, 07:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SK Hynix 1TB PC801 M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4x4 2280 SSD picture

SK Hynix 1TB PC801 M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4x4 2280 SSD

$100.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$545.25



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5

Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive

$29.99



External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A picture

External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A

$100.00