-
NTFS -> ext2
Is it possible to convert an ntfs to ext2 ?
I have a bunch of data on an ntfs and want to convert it to a ext2 partition. I would just move it over and make a new partition of ext2 then move it back over... but its a problem of space (its like 40gigs, and I dont have that as a surplus)
Any ideas of the best way to go about this?
Thanks alot
-
Re: NTFS -> ext2

Originally Posted by
jtvision
Is it possible to convert an ntfs to ext2 ?
I have a bunch of data on an ntfs and want to convert it to a ext2 partition. I would just move it over and make a new partition of ext2 then move it back over... but its a problem of space (its like 40gigs, and I dont have that as a surplus). Any ideas of the best way to go about this?
Even if there were a program that could do it, it takes SPACE to do straight conversions also!
Having lots of memory might help, but that depends upon the program... I suggest you break
down and get a new drive if you really need to do this... well, unless you still do have plenty of
room on that partition... Is it so full you can't add anything?! I'm not sure... can't check right
now as I'm under LInux!... but maybe PQ's Partition Magic 8.0 or better might do conversions.
-
Senior Member
registered user
You might be able to do it bit by bit using QTparted. Create an ext2 partition as big as you can, move some data into it, then run QTparted again to expand the partition , move some more data , etc.
Once you are done, I suggest you convert the ext2 to ext3, it is a more reliable format. The tool to use is tune2fs see man tune2fs for details.
Similar Threads
-
By firebyrd10 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-17-2004, 01:57 AM
-
By Forcemaster in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-06-2004, 01:27 PM
-
By hamatoma in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-26-2004, 05:11 PM
-
By Rivendell in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 04-08-2004, 10:14 PM
-
By Alexxx in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 7
Last Post: 03-09-2004, 02:08 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE
$199.99

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4
$39.00

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

Seagate 8TB Enterprise NAS ST8000NE0001 3.5" SATA HDD hard drive
$149.99

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS
$184.99

Seagate ST1000VM002 1TB 5900RPM 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s HDD | PC DVR CCTV | | 1Y
$55.95