Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Booting issues

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2

    Booting issues

    Hello everyone:

    I have been a fan of Knoppix for a very long time. However, I recently ran into some problems: after installing an old CD-ROM drive and 1 gig (woohoo, a whole gig!) hard drive in my computer from my old computer, I could no longer boot from the Knoppix CD (or any other bootable CD's). I have played around with the bios boot sequence with no luck. It just simply refuses to boot from the CD.

    So my question is: what are my options for running Knoppix? One option I have read about is a "Poor man's install". I have also heard about "Floppy boots". I full HDD install really isn't an option for me because i have such limited hard disk space. The best option would be to fix the CD boot, but I'm not sure if this is possible (would removing the 2nd CD-ROM drive help?)

    So what should I do in your opinion? Are there any other options for me? Any help is appreciated

    P.S. Sorry for a noob question

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    If this computer used to boot from the same cd and cd drive fine and no no longer does, and if you have checked your BIOS boot order, then my guess would be that the drives are not jumpered right. While there are multiple ways to configure the system, I would suggest that the hard drive be on the primary controller. If there is only one hard drive it must be jumpered as master (or a few older drives had a jumpering option that had to be selected if ony one drive was used that differed fro the master setting) If you add a second hard drive it gets jumpered as slave and the first one must be master in that case. The CD dtrives should be on the second ide controler. The first one must be jumpered as master, the second one as slave. Never use the CS jumper setting.

    You might also want to look into using Smart Boot Manager, but attend to the above first. SBM is not going to correct any jumpering or configuration problems.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2
    Thanks for the quick reply

    I ended up just taking the second drive out... that fixed the issue. You're right, after you said that, I realized that i did never change the jumper settings on the second CD-ROM drive

    Everything else is the way you described though, so it looks like I'm all set and back to using Knoppix. I'm planning on buying new HD as soon as i get some money, then I can do a full install of some distro. Maybe I'll just stick with Knoppix

    Thanks again for your quick reply!

Similar Threads

  1. Booting issues with compilation DVD on Virtual PC
    By jelzimme in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-26-2007, 04:11 AM
  2. Issues With Booting - Averatec 3700
    By soiltriad in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-06-2007, 03:42 AM
  3. Booting issues
    By asearle in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-19-2005, 01:03 PM
  4. Booting issues
    By jgagauth in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-08-2005, 10:57 AM
  5. please help me with CD booting issues
    By econobeing5 in forum General Support
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-03-2004, 12:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts

$59.99



DEC T2053-DE MS65A-DA 128MB VAX 6000 Memory Board Gold Scrap Vintage picture

DEC T2053-DE MS65A-DA 128MB VAX 6000 Memory Board Gold Scrap Vintage

$74.99



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$299.99



Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On) picture

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)

$499.99



6 Vintage DEC Digital System Building Blocks - Flip Chips  picture

6 Vintage DEC Digital System Building Blocks - Flip Chips

$145.00



Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation

$79.95



DEC Vintage Module/Board Collectable Vintage chip - 1 BROKEN LEG (BO) picture

DEC Vintage Module/Board Collectable Vintage chip - 1 BROKEN LEG (BO)

$200.00



Vintage DEC (Digital Equipment Corp) TK-50 Tape Drive picture

Vintage DEC (Digital Equipment Corp) TK-50 Tape Drive

$80.00



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99



Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012 picture

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012

$74.99