-
Booting issues
Hello everyone:
I have been a fan of Knoppix for a very long time. However, I recently ran into some problems: after installing an old CD-ROM drive and 1 gig (woohoo, a whole gig!) hard drive in my computer from my old computer, I could no longer boot from the Knoppix CD (or any other bootable CD's). I have played around with the bios boot sequence with no luck. It just simply refuses to boot from the CD.
So my question is: what are my options for running Knoppix? One option I have read about is a "Poor man's install". I have also heard about "Floppy boots". I full HDD install really isn't an option for me because i have such limited hard disk space. The best option would be to fix the CD boot, but I'm not sure if this is possible (would removing the 2nd CD-ROM drive help?)
So what should I do in your opinion? Are there any other options for me? Any help is appreciated 
P.S. Sorry for a noob question
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
If this computer used to boot from the same cd and cd drive fine and no no longer does, and if you have checked your BIOS boot order, then my guess would be that the drives are not jumpered right. While there are multiple ways to configure the system, I would suggest that the hard drive be on the primary controller. If there is only one hard drive it must be jumpered as master (or a few older drives had a jumpering option that had to be selected if ony one drive was used that differed fro the master setting) If you add a second hard drive it gets jumpered as slave and the first one must be master in that case. The CD dtrives should be on the second ide controler. The first one must be jumpered as master, the second one as slave. Never use the CS jumper setting.
You might also want to look into using Smart Boot Manager, but attend to the above first. SBM is not going to correct any jumpering or configuration problems.
-
Similar Threads
-
By jelzimme in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-26-2007, 04:11 AM
-
By soiltriad in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 01-06-2007, 03:42 AM
-
By asearle in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-19-2005, 01:03 PM
-
By jgagauth in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 03-08-2005, 10:57 AM
-
By econobeing5 in forum General Support
Replies: 23
Last Post: 10-03-2004, 12:18 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$13.99

Microsoft SQL Server 2025 Standard 32 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License Package
$299.00

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00

Dell SonicWall TZ400 Network Security Appliance Firewall New
$185.00

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95

Ubiquiti UniFi Gateway Max UXG-Max
$199.00

BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD
$199.00

KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health
$360.00

NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch
$499.99