Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: USB Internet Connection

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3

    USB Internet Connection

    Hi, I tried connecting to the internet with knoppix using the Live CD and have failed. Knoppix cannot detect an ethernet card(which I do not have, old computer) so I can't connect, but with windows I connect through the USB port. Knoppix recognizes my 2wire modem but I have no idea how to connect. If anyone knows anything I'd be glad if you helped.

    Thanks,
    Josh.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Western MA.
    Posts
    111
    some modems are incomatible with knoppix. They are known as winmodems as they only work with Windows....
    johnb

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3
    Are you sure it doesn't? You can use an ethernet cord with it too, but I use USB.

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: USB Internet Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    .... Knoppix cannot detect an ethernet card(which I do not have, old computer) so I can't connect, but with windows I connect through the USB port.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    Are you sure it doesn't? You can use an ethernet cord with it too, but I use USB.
    Sounds like you understand where the problem is and what the solution is. In case you didn't know and couldn't be bothered to check, ethernet cards (which I used to pay $200 or more for) are now dirt cheap, usually around 5 bucks at many places, frequently free after rebate. If you want to keep trying to make the usb connection work and just gripe that that's what you use in Windows, well, good luck with that.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3
    What I thought was that he meant USB only modems wouldn't work. If ethernet is only $5 then I guess I'll have to check into it. Now if only I could partition without formatting I'd install it...

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    What I thought was that he meant USB only modems wouldn't work. If ethernet is only $5 then I guess I'll have to check into it. Now if only I could partition without formatting I'd install it...
    I don't know about your equipment, from the way you were talking I understood that you were not using ethernet because you didn't have an ethernet card. You even said "You can use an ethernet cord with it too, but I use USB". Now you seem to be saying you thought the modem was USB only. You need to decide which of these is true. My ISP did try to stick me with a crap USB modem when I signed up, but I wasn't going to buy into the service that way - Not only do you want an ethernet connection for Linux, but you absolutely need one if you are going to run a DSL/Cable router, which provides an extremely important hardware firewall. I would never run a Windows system on a high speed connection without one. My advice would be to check the specs for your modem and see if it also supports an ethernet connection, or even look at it and see if there is one or more RJ-45 jacks on it (a telephone type jack with 8 tiny connectors inside). If you modem supports ethernet, use it. And also check if your modem has a built-in router, many new ones do. If not, consider getting an inexpensive dsl/cable router. It will protect your windows system and will make life much easier for you in may ways. And these devices have also become dirt cheap, there are a few on sale this week for $10 after rebate in the U.S. (I even saw one for $5 AR last Sunday, but that sale has expired).

Similar Threads

  1. Internet Connection
    By Cambo105 in forum Networking
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-12-2007, 04:41 AM
  2. Connection to Internet
    By ladyarcher44 in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-21-2006, 10:56 PM
  3. Internet connection Help
    By compgeek in forum Networking
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-06-2006, 10:52 PM
  4. internet connection
    By Tine in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-18-2005, 05:32 PM
  5. Internet Connection.
    By Sance in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-06-2004, 10:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



ESET Server Security (File Security) | Variant Item | Download Version picture

ESET Server Security (File Security) | Variant Item | Download Version

$136.15



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



Qotom Q335G4 Fanless Firewall 4x Intel LAN i3-5005U AES-NI 8GB WiFi pfSense picture

Qotom Q335G4 Fanless Firewall 4x Intel LAN i3-5005U AES-NI 8GB WiFi pfSense

$129.00



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



Microsoft SQL Server 2022 Standard 24 Core unlimited CAL Retail License Package picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2022 Standard 24 Core unlimited CAL Retail License Package

$199.00



Toshiba Magnia SG20 VPN Linux server Web server (No HDD, *Read*) - picture

Toshiba Magnia SG20 VPN Linux server Web server (No HDD, *Read*) -

$60.00



Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay picture

Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay

$500.00



Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Server DVD English OS Media Kit RHF0382US picture

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Server DVD English OS Media Kit RHF0382US

$41.30