Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Why do myconfig= and home= conflict sometimes?

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    30

    Why do myconfig= and home= conflict sometimes?

    In short, just using:
    "home=/dev/hda2"
    gives me a persistent home directory, but doing this:
    "myconfig=/dev/hda2 home=/dev/hda2"
    Gives me no persistent home directory. Anybody know why? Even weirder, in some installations I have, they don't conflict (both will work).

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    30

    Re: Why do myconfig= and home= conflict sometimes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jansi
    <...>Even weirder, in some installations I have, they don't conflict (both will work).
    UPDATE:
    In looking at an installation where persistent home directory AND the KNOPPIX configuration were both compatibly working together, I noticed that I used "config=/dev/hda2" instead of "myconfig=/dev/hda2"

    Are config and myconfig interpreted differently by the kernel??

    I will look in to this more when I can...

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    14
    Have you tried: "home=scan myconfig=scan" ?? This works for me.

    Matt

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkeychops
    Have you tried: "home=scan myconfig=scan" ?? This works for me.

    Matt
    Nope, no success, but thanks. And no, my hypothesis that "config=" might act different than "myconfig=" failed too.

    The only thing I can see different those two machines that work (i.e., in which myconfig= and home= get along together) from any other installations is that I would have stored a lot more stuff in their config files than usual -- CUPS printer stuff, root password, fixed IP addresses, etc. When I get some time, I may explore config.tbz a bit.

    I mean, it works to just put the config files in another partition, but I'd prefer to have everything together and writable, and I also don't like not knowing why it works some places and not others!

Similar Threads

  1. Am I using home and myconfig wrong?
    By SiKing in forum General Support
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-21-2007, 11:30 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-15-2006, 05:36 AM
  3. Klik Home and myconfig
    By lilsirecho in forum Klik
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-16-2005, 02:21 PM
  4. newbie - auto myconfig=scan home=scan
    By eentonig in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-11-2005, 10:57 AM
  5. home= and config= conflict with Compact Flash disk?
    By sinanju in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-21-2004, 11:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.75