Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: HD Install Challenges.

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    24

    HD Install Challenges.

    I installed Knoppix to HD using sudo knoppix-installer

    1. Soon as I typed it, thgre were some message in the console saying that something is not clear in partition table 8 and will try to fix by writing.

    2. Then after install it said it can't remvoe certain files from /usr/share as it is a read only file system.

    3. I have two hard drives. It said Warning /dev/hdb1 is not on the first drive.

    4. Video Apater currently in use can't be deternmined.

    5. When I tried to boot, it says L99 99 99 the 99 99 continues for several lines and then it stops at that.

    The same occurs for both the Basic Install as well as the Debian type install.

    Please assist.

    Vijay

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    260
    Vijay, Something about the partition you installed to is not working.
    What kind of partition did you create? And did you make it bootable?
    I think you need to use a partitioning tool you are comfoartable with
    and create a linux partition and then do the install.

    This how to is a little old but may be a useful guide: http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Partition/

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    24
    I used fdisk. I made two partitions. The first one was ext2 and is the major partition. The last one is swap and the minor one. I formatted the first swap to ext2.

    Before install however, the software formatted it to ext3 system.

    Moreover, I just mounted, went into the installed drive and checked. (I have two drives, the first one has got Debian WOody, the second has the Knoppix Install). Several files seem correctly installed.

    Vijay

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    24
    By the way, I have made partitions on this disk before using the same method and installed/used other OSs, including Damn Small Linux without any problems.

    Vijay

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    260

    Re: HD Install Challenges.

    Quote Originally Posted by rvijay
    I installed Knoppix to HD using sudo knoppix-installer

    1. Soon as I typed it, thgre were some message in the console saying that something is not clear in partition table 8 and will try to fix by writing.

    2. Then after install it said it can't remvoe certain files from /usr/share as it is a read only file system.

    3. I have two hard drives. It said Warning /dev/hdb1 is not on the first drive.

    4. Video Apater currently in use can't be deternmined.

    5. When I tried to boot, it says L99 99 99 the 99 99 continues for several lines and then it stops at that.

    The same occurs for both the Basic Install as well as the Debian type install.

    Please assist.



    Vijay
    I didn't understand your # 4 orginally due to the spelling. Seems your video adapter or card isn't recognized.
    You may need to use cheat codes to boot knoppix. Although you say you've installed debian woody. Did it boot?
    If debian worked and knoppix doesn't then honestly I don't know what the problem is.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    24
    Yes, woody is what I am using to type this message presently.

    I also got another error message from the Knoppix Installer:
    /dev/mapper/control open failes no such device
    incompatible libdevmapper 1.00.19-ioctl (2004-07-03) Compat and kernel driver

    Could this entire problem be due to the fact that I have two hard drives and the woody is somehow messing with the knoppix installer ?

    Vijay

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by rvijay
    Yes, woody is what I am using to type this message presently.

    I also got another error message from the Knoppix Installer:
    /dev/mapper/control open failes no such device
    incompatible libdevmapper 1.00.19-ioctl (2004-07-03) Compat and kernel driver

    Could this entire problem be due to the fact that I have two hard drives and the woody is somehow messing with the knoppix installer ?

    Vijay
    for the /dev/mapper problem see page 2 of this post: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16328

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    24
    I tried adding dm-mod as suggested in that page to /etc/modules and /etc/modules-2.4.27

    It didn't work.

    Vijay

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    24
    I was trying a Debian Upgrade and my system crashed. So, I had to repartition my HD and tried the Knoppix HD install again. It worked great !!

    Before thsi I tried a Damn Small Linux and an Alt Linux Install both didn't discover the partitions. So I guess there were partition detection problems. The can't remove and dev mapp errors still came. However, the HD install still works. I am typing this post using this HD install now.

    Vijay

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$155.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$288.00



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance

$155.75



Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J picture

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J

$40.00



Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall picture

Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall

$680.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN

$199.99



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed picture

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed

$202.50