-
using knoppix to try to recover windows files
here is my scenario: I just rebuilt a new computer, and put 2 hard drives in it. one is a new one and one is the old one which had an install of windows XP on it. I am now running windows server 2003 on the new HD and I'm trying to recover my files from the other hard drive. For some reason whenever I click on my My Documents folder, it says access is denied.
so anyway I tried to use knoppix to copy the files from one hard drive to another. when I try to though it says that there is either a reading or writing access problem...any idea how i can get around this an manipulate files on both hard drives?
also, the reason I dont just boot up the old hard drive is that it wont boot...an odd problem considering its files seem intact
thanks,
rich
-
Senior Member
registered user
It sounds like you had file encryption turned on in your NTFS volume. This basically encodes all of the files stored in a directory tied to your username (documents and settings/username) with a hash key that is generated by your user password. I don't know if there's anything you can do at this point. I might be wrong...
Similar Threads
-
By GDASHAFE101 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-26-2005, 02:48 AM
-
By madmike in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-17-2005, 11:27 PM
-
By katana in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 8
Last Post: 09-02-2004, 06:25 PM
-
By raven in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 07-23-2004, 09:56 PM
-
By go2 in forum General Support
Replies: 15
Last Post: 03-26-2004, 01:59 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1599.99

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU
$225.00

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)
$150.00

1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM
$344.97

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012
$109.99