-
Removing Programs Using Apt-Get
I installed Knoppix 3.7 onto a system's hard drive and I wanted to remove some programs that were installed with the OS, but are not
needed on the system in question. Would using the apt-get remove command syntax work or is there another method that is better? Thanks.
-
Senior Member
registered user
kaplan71,
I think you got it, or at least thats the way I do it...
You can use the remove in conjunction with another command line switch to completely remove everything, or just remove the program...
To just remove, as an example, a package called "program", the remove would look like this:
apt-get remove program
to remove everything, this would include, like in games, saved games, configs, etc... you can use this:
apt-get --purge remove program
*** if you prefer a GUI ***
You can use synaptic, and install, remove, and purge, the same as the apt-get command from the CLI ( synaptic is a "front-end" to the apt-get / apt-cache ). If you are going to use a GUI instead of the apt commands, I would suggest getting familiar with the apt commands first. Apt is the "standard" for Debian, and probably will "always" be available, whereas, a "front-end" GUI for apt may not always be installed. ( this last part may, or may not, be for your benefit kaplan71, it could also be more information for anyone else who may be reading this post
)
synaptic is not the only "front-end" available for apt, I think kpackage is another, not to mention, I am sure, others... But, I have used synaptic, as a front-end, and it works pretty good. Since using it though, I have stopped, and just gone back to using the apt commands, IMHO, I think the apt commands are a lot easier, and less likely to get one into trouble. ( considering installing, and dependancy problems, are less likely when you list out what you want to install, as you would in the apt commands. With a "front-end" GUI, you can select a TON of packages to install, and when you click on "install" or "apply", dependancies might get messed up. )
Hope this helps,
Ms. Cuddles
Similar Threads
-
By WindowsKillsLinux in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-10-2006, 10:46 AM
-
By ColdDeath in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 7
Last Post: 12-29-2005, 02:00 PM
-
By technoronin in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-19-2004, 01:36 AM
-
By eric2 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-25-2004, 11:36 AM
-
By silkodyssey in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-12-2003, 02:16 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

LOT OF 3 Micron 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA DDR4 ECC Server Memory
$255.00

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11
$62.50

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK
$799.00

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75

HMAA8GR7AJR4N-XN - SK Hynix 64GB PC4-25600 DDR4-3200MHz Registered ECC DIMM Dual
$493.31

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick
$289.80

5 in 1 Memory Card Reader USB 3.0 OTG Adapter SD Card Reader For iPhone/iPad LOT
$9.99