Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Is Knoppix right for me?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2

    Is Knoppix right for me?

    Hey all,

    I have an internal 30GB drive in my Macintosh G4. I'd like to set up a "Red Hat"-like environment where I can test a SQL database as well as Apache. Keeping in mind that I have minimal experience setting these things up and just slightly more working with them, is Knoppix for me? Is this going to help me do what I want to do?

    Please advise.

    - MT

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    MT,

    Not quite sure bout the Mac, but, for the PC, I can advise...

    Linux, as a "generalized" OS, this includes all variants; Debain, Suse, RedHat, Mandrake, etc... is not for the faint of heart... Working "in" Linux, mostly, will lead you, inevitably, down to a "command line" interface. Even though many programs exist in a GUI format, they are usually "front-ends" to a command line program. The "power" of Linux is in that command line, not the GUI. Most configuration files are stored in standard text format, so that they can easily be modified with your favorite text editor. Some files, configuration files, that is, can only be modified by manual editing, like modules, and fstab...

    Programs can be run from a menu entry, like windows, or, from the command line. The command line can give more output of what is going wrong, or what is going on, during the execution of that program, because it has a place to "spit" ( pardon the rude analogy ) its output to a screen, whereas, when a program is run from a menu entry, no "console" exists for it to place its output into, only the standard "windows-like" error boxes "may" pop up, in the case of an error.

    As for the Apache, etc... issues, I think, not knowing about the Mac, again, and using the PC for my knowledge, it should work... I am running a complete installed Knoppix system on a 30GB hard drive, 500 MB used for swap, and are only using about 10 GB of that partition. ( at most )

    I may not be the best to answer for a Mac issue, others may actually be running with a Mac, and may be able to give more input on this "specifically", but, I gave the perspective from a PC person...

    Hope this helps,
    Ms. Cuddles

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles
    MT,
    I may not be the best to answer for a Mac issue, others may actually be running with a Mac, and may be able to give more input on this "specifically", but, I gave the perspective from a PC person...
    Thanks for the in depth response. Actually, the command line thing I somewhat have down. I'm just wondering what to do with the drive. Sounds like this might work and the FREE thing you can't pass up on.

    - MT

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    london town
    Posts
    220
    if you want to get used to running a server. i would say check out debian.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Acer Aspire 14

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb

$475.21



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$316.61



External SSD 1TB 2TB  Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$16.99



Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB,Internal,7200 RPM,3.5 inch Hard Drive picture

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB,Internal,7200 RPM,3.5 inch Hard Drive

$29.90



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1794.16



ASUS ROG 14in QHD Ryzen 9 4.9GHz RTX 3060 16GB 1TB SSD White picture

ASUS ROG 14in QHD Ryzen 9 4.9GHz RTX 3060 16GB 1TB SSD White

$450.00



Samsung T9 1TB, External (MU-PG1T0B/AM) Solid Slate Drive picture

Samsung T9 1TB, External (MU-PG1T0B/AM) Solid Slate Drive

$159.99



Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5

Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$23.99



ST31000528AS SEAGATE 1TB SATA 3GB 7200RPM HDD picture

ST31000528AS SEAGATE 1TB SATA 3GB 7200RPM HDD

$19.90



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$465.98