Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Cannot surf Internet

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282

    Cannot surf Internet

    Using knoppix 3.7, installed as a live CD, could surf Internet fine. Installed knoppix on my hard drive and I cannot surf the Internet, pages time out in knoqueror and I can only ping my router and local addresses. If I ping www.google.com I get unknown host??

    Sounds like a dns problem I have an onboard Marvell ethernet adapter (Asus P4P800 motherboard).
    Network setup uses a fixed IP and netmask of 192.168.254.197 / 255.255.255.0 Default gateway (router) is set at 192.168.254.254 My DNS names for my ISP are set in /etc/resolv.conf

    lspci:
    0000:02:05.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Yukon Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Adapter (rev 13)

    I have set a host name but not domainname. Using a single computer connected to my router. I am running, SuSe,
    Mandrake, FreeBSD , Ubuntu and Knoppix 3.7. I can browse in other systems but not knoppix. Thanks in advance for any help.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Cannot surf Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by hal8000
    .... Installed knoppix on my hard drive .... If I ping www.google.com I get unknown host??

    Sounds like a dns problem ..
    There are plenty of reports of networking failing after a hard disk install, you might want to read through the forums a bit.

    I don't know if it really sounds like a dns problem or not, unknown host isn't enough information. What happens if you ping 64.233.187.99 (www.google.com) or if you ping 66.220.1.171 (www.knoppix.net). If you can ping them by IP address but not by name then I'll agree that it sounds like a dns problem. Othewise it is not.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    15
    I have the same problem
    when 3.7 is installed to the hard drive it seems that only the root user has access to use the net.
    Other users can dial in as in my case so slooowly
    So in my case. How can I give access to other users

    This seems to be your problem also.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    when 3.7 is installed to the hard drive it seems that only the root user has access to use the net.
    Other users can dial in as in my case so slooowly
    So in my case. How can I give access to other users
    I'm not entirely sure what your problem is, but I don't think it's the same (and you shouldn't hi-jack threads like this -- you'll get better responses by posting your own problem, yourself).

    Anyway, have you tried editing /etc/group, making your users members of the dialout and dip groups?

Similar Threads

  1. connected to net yet cant surf
    By tekas007 in forum Networking
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-30-2008, 10:29 PM
  2. I can not surf the net
    By spottyrover in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-21-2005, 12:06 AM
  3. Modem connects, but I still can't surf the net
    By WolfBLN in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-11-2004, 06:25 AM
  4. Got Modem wish to surf with Knoppix ...
    By DavidTempler in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-19-2004, 11:18 PM
  5. Surf internet through a Webramp router/hub
    By katrina1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-22-2003, 02:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-768GB +384GB - 656-0119/ 656-0120 picture

Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-768GB +384GB - 656-0119/ 656-0120

$69.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$155.00



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$341.98



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot

$129.99



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



Dell Latitude 15.6” FHD Core i5 Laptop PC Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 picture

Dell Latitude 15.6” FHD Core i5 Laptop PC Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11

$489.92



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$545.25