1 buy more ram
2 install knoppix (At your own risk)
I'm using v. 3.6 of knoppix
I'm following the instructions on hack#45 in "Knoppix Hacks" book (p. 144 ) and for the most part it works fine. The problem I'm having is that when I run nessus-update-plugins, it only downloads a set number of the plugins and then from then on, I get errors that it couldn't download more because it ran out of space on the device (presumeably the ram drive). Anyone have any ideas how I could remedy this?
1 buy more ram
2 install knoppix (At your own risk)
Boy, I sure wouldn't be advising someone to buy more ram without even knowing how much they have or even the system they are on and it's capacity. And at the cost of ram for old systems it might be more cost eficent to replace an entire cpu and MB with new larger ram than to buy much of the old small stuff that now commands premium prices.Originally Posted by pureone
I rather expect that people coming here are looking for help on getting things to work on the hardware they have, and don't see how telling people buy more memory or to buy a newer computer every time an uncomfortable problem presents itself is helpful.
I agree with the At your own risk part, but would never advise someone to install Knoppix, and certainly not in a case where we know so little about his actual problem and his actual system.Originally Posted by pureone
of course, more ram...should have thought of that...thanks
point taken i couldnt think of anything other then buy more ram at the time of the post. but there are loads of differnt options to take.Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
there are tons of ways to use up less ram(init 2). also the problem might be that some of nessuses plugin folders permissions might not of been set correctly. it would be good to know how much ram the person has in the first place. you could always set up a swap partion to act as extra memory.
you also have the option of trying a live security cd that doesnt take up as much ram such as knoppix std, las , phlak

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW
$13.89
2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM
$37.99
Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe
$53.99
LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...
$162.04
MAYKU FormBox Desktop Vacuum Forming Machine W / Starter Kit
$399.00
US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits
$13.89
Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles
$53.99
2 in 1 Compressed Air Duster Air Blower & Vacuum Cleaner Cordless Duster Blower
$16.99
Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery
$107.67
Vacloong Vacuum-Sealed 3D Printing Filament Kit, 20 Packs PUMP+20P, White
$18.99