Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: KNOPPIX 101

  1. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    9
    You mean crackers, hackers are [usually] friendly people who are experts at using computers, and, or have programming experience.

    There is an advantage against crackers, and malware (eg. spyware, and virus'), mostly because Windows is the primary target for attackers, but also because you need root access to do any real damage to a computer running Linux.
    I'm new to even putting on my anti-spyware, just put up a firewall last week.....it's amazing to see all the "access denied" pop ups from ssources trying to access my comp...... maybe i used the wrong term, if so, my apologies!

    BajaPorsche wrote:
    I thought the hard drive was the mechanical part that contains the softwar...well I'm confusing myself now.

    Harry Kuhman wrote
    The hard drive is the electro-mechanical part that contains data including software. Why do you no longer think this?

    bajaporsche response
    Thanks for confirming that for me....that's what I thought the hard drive was at first.

    In all... I take it that Knoppix is somewhat of a sample of what Linux is capable of.
    Knoppix is at no cost, capable of performing all these software applications, from a bootable CD.
    And, Knoppix does not Neccessarily need to use windows...it has Wine....but that knoppix can use windows if the user chooses to....... this part i don't understand yet, but if I re-read the other posts a few morte times, I should understand it.

    Here is another question I have, but the answer might already be posted, I just have to re-read the other posts.....can a firewall be installed onto knoppix, without messing with the original intent of knoppix....(kinda like a simple application of a selected firewall, that is pretty safe to insatll for beginners, without messing up knoppix performance)

    sorry for being almost non coherant, but there were too many terms i was unfamiliar with in the other posts....and I didn't want to make assumptions....esecially when i don't really know what was said....
    thanks to everyone who posted a response

  2. #12
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaPorsche
    .... And, Knoppix does not Neccessarily need to use windows...it has Wine....but that knoppix can use windows if the user chooses to....... this part i don't understand yet, but if I re-read the other posts a few morte times, I should understand it.
    Actually, I would say that Knoppix does not use Windows and cannot use Windows, but exactly what use means is unclear and vague. Knoppix is a Live CD based distribution that includes an Operating System (Linux), Windows is a completely different OS. Knoppix can read Windows disks. It can write to many Windows disk types (partitions) but not to the NTFS type partition (although it can read it). It can exchange data with Windows, and can even network (connection of multiple computers, sharing files and even some hardware like printers) with Windows. But Linux (and so Knoppix) does not run Windows programs.

    There are efforts to be able to run programs written for Windows under Linux (without rewriting the source code) . One of these is WINE. At this point WINE will run some Windows programs, but it will not run most programs that use DirectX or other complex graphics and it will not run many programs that do not need DirectX. The bottom line is don't build expectations that things that run under Windows can be run under Linux without getting Linux versions of those programs (sometimes Linux versions are available, sometimes thay are not).

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    london town
    Posts
    220
    dont worrie everyone has to start off learning somewere.

    knoppix has a firewall built into it. such as gaurd dog which you can config. shutdown knoppix your configuration will be destroyed and you will have to config it each time you boot knoppix. you can how ever use certain software (klik) to install firewalls like firestarter on the fly. but as once you turn off the computer it will be gone.

  4. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    9
    wow.....this is why I asking about Knoppix....... I thought someone had cracked or hacked, whatever the proper term is, and was denying me access to discussion forums again...
    thanks for the info... I usually get confused at this point.... but I want to ask questions about Knoppix and the internet.... but I will post that on KNOPPIX 102...
    thanks all for the freindly advice!

  5. #15
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    24
    BajaPorsche, i think I understand what confused you about the Hard Drive thing. This is from my understanding of this, so try to bear with me. The Hard Drive stores the programs, the RAM (Memory) Runs those programs.

    Knoppix, as a live-cd, loads itself into the memory and runs from there. There is a small part of the HD taken up while it is running, but those files are automatically deleted when you shutdown/reboot the computer.

    Again this is my experience, I have seen created Temporary files in the boot partition of my Hard drive (boot partition= part of the HD devoted to booting the machine, not the windows one normally) but they were generally very small.

    For the email question you had, it sort of depends. Now obviously you need a connection to the internet, but once that is established, if it's broadband you can easily access a web based email account like yahoo or gmail. This has come in quite handy for me when I've gone to hotels, all I had to do was plug in the ethernet cable before booting, say yes to the hotel service page and check my gmail account easily. Yes, you need some sort of service, but you don't need to buy an email account (like outlook, aol, etc) if you already use a web based email account. I sorta had a hard time explaining that, i hope I didn't confuse you much though.

    I have more but I think those questions are posted in the 102 topic so i'll post there now. Hope that helped ^_^

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



P43330-0A1 HPE 32GB 2RX8 PC5-4800B DDR5 SERVER RAM P43328-B21 / HMCG88MEBRA107N picture

P43330-0A1 HPE 32GB 2RX8 PC5-4800B DDR5 SERVER RAM P43328-B21 / HMCG88MEBRA107N

$1100.00



MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6E1 | 32GB PC4-2666V ECC RDIMM Server RAM picture

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6E1 | 32GB PC4-2666V ECC RDIMM Server RAM

$184.95



2 in 1 USB 3.0 Card Reader Micro TF card Reader usb adapter High Speed Cardreder picture

2 in 1 USB 3.0 Card Reader Micro TF card Reader usb adapter High Speed Cardreder

$3.99



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM picture

Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM

$10.99



SK Hynix 128GB (4 x 32GB) PC4-2400T DDR4 ECC Server Memory HMA84GR7MFR4N-UH picture

SK Hynix 128GB (4 x 32GB) PC4-2400T DDR4 ECC Server Memory HMA84GR7MFR4N-UH

$649.95



Team Group T-Create Expert RAM 32gb (2 x 16gb) 6000 Mhz DDR5 Desktop Memory Modu picture

Team Group T-Create Expert RAM 32gb (2 x 16gb) 6000 Mhz DDR5 Desktop Memory Modu

$399.95



2 Pack USB C SD TF Card Reader Adapter Zinc Alloy USB-C to USB for iPhone 15-17 picture

2 Pack USB C SD TF Card Reader Adapter Zinc Alloy USB-C to USB for iPhone 15-17

$3.35



WINDOWS 11 PRO 64-BIT USB picture

WINDOWS 11 PRO 64-BIT USB

$32.99