Unless you have a specific problem you don't need to type anything. Just press enter or wait a few seconds for it to start itself![]()
Hello, I wish someone could walk me through this. I installed the CD, but the problems comes in the boot section. What do I need to type on the lower left hand corner where its says (BOOT:_) ?
And also, how would I access the internet and email settings? I know, there is a lot of questions to ask. Im very very new at this so I think its better to ask the pros.
Would be compatable to a laptop computer?
I would really wish someone could walk me through step by step with the Knoppix CD Installation.
thx.
Unless you have a specific problem you don't need to type anything. Just press enter or wait a few seconds for it to start itself![]()
Thanks for the reply. And what about the Internet and email settings? And would this work on a laptop?
How are you going to connect to the internet, ethernet card or modem (hardware or winmodem) this determines the setup method used. For the e-mail you just have to configure whichever e-mail client you want to use with the settings you got from your ISP just like you would have to in windows.
As for the laptop it depends on the support for the hardware in the machine itself what is the make, model post as much detail as possible it helps in giving you a proper answer (always a good procedure with any question).
That's not entirely true. Yes Knoppix is certainly capable of booting without any input however, there are many situations that cannot be made automatic for various reasons, a wheelmouse for example. Although it is not necessary I commonly boot w/ 'noscsi' & 'nopcmcia' options. Why spend the time and effort looking for something that simply doesn't exist on my system. It is true obviously that 'noapic' and several other of the many available codes can make problem hardware more cooperative.Originally Posted by MattT
I dont have the laptop yet. So i dont know. And if I just load the Linux (KNOPPIX) with XP originally installed, is the Linux still going to be secure from spyware and viruses?
To be honest with you, the only reason I wish to install Linux is the security issue with Windows. With Linux, its less likely. But even though Im booting Linux from a CD, does this mean Im going to be secure or not?
What can a virus do to a cd?......nothing. Of course you are still able to download whatever you like to your hard drive so if you puit a virus on your drive then of course you'll still have a virus. There are other not so obvious reasons as to why Linux is less vulnerable than windoze.Originally Posted by wardialer

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$169.99
Apple Mac Pro 5,1 • 8‑Core 2.26GHz • 14GB RAM • 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD Dual NVIDIA
$325.00
Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor
$175.00
Home Assistant Server | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Intel i5 Quad-Core | Dell OptiPlex
$159.99
Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00
AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY
$39.99
AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor
$59.99
AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked
$79.99
DELL OPTIPLEX 3280 21.5" AIO Core i5 10500T 8GB 256GB NVMe Windows 11 -NO STAND
$179.99
AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor
$250.00