Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: File Association Problems - Newbie !

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5

    File Association Problems - Newbie !

    Hi, I have recently installed Knoppix 3.7 to my HDD and all has been working well except when I opened a Mpeg file I accidently set it to always open this type of file with the XMMS player. Unfortunately, now it seems that everything that I try to open tries to open with XMMS. I cannot open or explore any of my partitions because it keeps using the XMMS player to open it.

    Can anybody help me with this ?

    I have tried several searches on this forum with no luck so apologies if this has already been covered.


    Thanks in advance

    Mark

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    File associations can be set from Control center->KDE components. This setting can also be accessed from konqueror->settings->configure Konqueror.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5
    Thanks for the response. I have gone into file associations and I have gone to all and it says that there isn't any set. I cannot figure out how to fix this.

    This is starting to annoy me as I cannot get anything to open properly.

    Any help appreciated

    Thank

    Mark

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    london town
    Posts
    220
    you could try the open with option then update it to always use that program.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5
    I have tried this, but it still tries to open it with XMMS. I am confused as to why this would happen.

    Thanks

    Mark

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5
    I have managed to sort this out by putting everything back as default in the control centre and then by putting the open with option to konqueror.

    Thanks to everyone for their help

    Mark

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    Thanks for the response. I have gone into file associations and I have gone to all and it says that there isn't any set.
    For some odd reason 'all' doesn't mean set all the file type associations, refers to an 'all' type file. But it sounds like restoring defaults worked...good. Personally I change a few...for instance default action for a text file is preview in embedded text editor instead of open with external editor kwite.

Similar Threads

  1. [newbie-need help] error while change HDD permission file
    By pai in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-07-2006, 09:32 PM
  2. Yet another Newbie with boot problems....
    By badgerpants in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-08-2005, 10:13 PM
  3. Newbie Q: ms-win access to persisent_home file?
    By stephen_w_simpson in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-19-2004, 03:36 PM
  4. Newbie Modem problems...
    By Rorypyro in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-16-2003, 10:53 PM
  5. Newbie Problems
    By fitzrik in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-07-2003, 06:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Western Digital WD WD4006FZBX 4TB HDD 3.5

Western Digital WD WD4006FZBX 4TB HDD 3.5" SATA 7200RPM Black Gaming New Sealed

$185.00



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99



HGST 0F23072 Deskstar NAS 6TB SATA III 7200RPM 128MB 3.5in HDD picture

HGST 0F23072 Deskstar NAS 6TB SATA III 7200RPM 128MB 3.5in HDD

$84.99



Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5

Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$23.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5

Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s

$55.00



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95