Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Radeon 9700 detection

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5

    Radeon 9700 detection

    I've read that XFree86 4.3 has support for Radeon 9700 cards, but when I boot the Knoppix CD, it uses the VESA driver.
    Is there any way to force the ati driver?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    If you check out the Docs section you'll see the following boot option: "xmodule=ati|fbdev|vesa|savage|s3" Have you tried "knoppix xmodule=ati" ? Let us know how it goes.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    95
    Actually, I think the best driver for the Radeon isn't ati, but rather 'radeon'. I suggest that you pass the parameter xmodule=radeon at the boot prompt.

    But Radeon support in XFree86 4.3 isn't very good.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5

    Sorry, I've clicked in new post instead of reply.

    I've tried that, but it fails to start and it falls back to fbdev.
    I think that it's fbdev because with VESA driver I get 60Hz, but with that strange driver I get 68Hz.
    With radeon drivers I get 85Hz as default in Mandrake 9.1 and with other distributions (such as debian) with the ati drivers for xfree86 4.2.1

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Shouldn't it be like this:
    xmodule=raedon

    NOT
    xmodule=radeon

    Notice that the 'd' & 'e' are transposed. It would never work that way.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    Shouldn't it be like this:
    xmodule=raedon

    NOT
    xmodule=radeon

    Notice that the 'd' & 'e' are transposed. It would never work that way.
    Huh? No. It should be radeon, not raedon.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Viro
    Huh? No. It should be radeon, not raedon.
    And so it would appear that you are correct. It is apparently commonly misspelled in the forums. My bad.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5
    Maybe it will be, but card's name is Radeon, not Raedon.
    It's strange to name a module different from card's name.

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    95
    No sweat, simple mistake to make .

    In any case, I've removed my Radeon 9000 and I'm back to my old trusty GeForce2 MX400. Why? The ATI drivers in XFree86 4.3.0 are just too buggy at the moment. DRI causes my whole system to crash, and I've lost some precious work.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5
    I don't care about 3d acceleration. I'm not going to get it until kernel 2.6 is released because I have a KT400 chipset and a AGP8X card. But I NEED a good refresh rate in 2d to use it, and 60Hz isn't good refresh rate.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-05-2004, 05:39 PM
  2. Radeon 9200
    By pamindic in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-12-2004, 09:19 AM
  3. Radeon 9700 driver install?
    By pi in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-06-2003, 01:15 PM
  4. ATI RADEON IGP 320 M aka Radeon Mobility U1 @ laptops
    By www.rzr.online.fr in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-20-2003, 12:41 AM
  5. ATI Radeon
    By donkthemagicllama in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-07-2003, 04:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Cisco C9200-48P-A Catalyst 48-Port PoE+ Switch picture

Cisco C9200-48P-A Catalyst 48-Port PoE+ Switch

$749.00



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points - Tested & Working (AP Only) picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points - Tested & Working (AP Only)

$89.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch  W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords picture

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords

$205.00



Cisco Catalyst C9300X-NM-2C 2-Port 40G/100G Multi Gig picture

Cisco Catalyst C9300X-NM-2C 2-Port 40G/100G Multi Gig

$775.00



Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960X-48FPD-L 48-Port Gigabit Managed PoE+ Ethernet Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960X-48FPD-L 48-Port Gigabit Managed PoE+ Ethernet Switch

$69.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco RV320 + RV325 + MERAKI MX64 *UNTESTED NO POWER SUPPLIES* picture

Cisco RV320 + RV325 + MERAKI MX64 *UNTESTED NO POWER SUPPLIES*

$100.00