Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Radeon 9700 detection

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5

    Radeon 9700 detection

    I've read that XFree86 4.3 has support for Radeon 9700 cards, but when I boot the Knoppix CD, it uses the VESA driver.
    Is there any way to force the ati driver?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    If you check out the Docs section you'll see the following boot option: "xmodule=ati|fbdev|vesa|savage|s3" Have you tried "knoppix xmodule=ati" ? Let us know how it goes.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    95
    Actually, I think the best driver for the Radeon isn't ati, but rather 'radeon'. I suggest that you pass the parameter xmodule=radeon at the boot prompt.

    But Radeon support in XFree86 4.3 isn't very good.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5

    Sorry, I've clicked in new post instead of reply.

    I've tried that, but it fails to start and it falls back to fbdev.
    I think that it's fbdev because with VESA driver I get 60Hz, but with that strange driver I get 68Hz.
    With radeon drivers I get 85Hz as default in Mandrake 9.1 and with other distributions (such as debian) with the ati drivers for xfree86 4.2.1

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Shouldn't it be like this:
    xmodule=raedon

    NOT
    xmodule=radeon

    Notice that the 'd' & 'e' are transposed. It would never work that way.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    Shouldn't it be like this:
    xmodule=raedon

    NOT
    xmodule=radeon

    Notice that the 'd' & 'e' are transposed. It would never work that way.
    Huh? No. It should be radeon, not raedon.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Viro
    Huh? No. It should be radeon, not raedon.
    And so it would appear that you are correct. It is apparently commonly misspelled in the forums. My bad.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5
    Maybe it will be, but card's name is Radeon, not Raedon.
    It's strange to name a module different from card's name.

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    95
    No sweat, simple mistake to make .

    In any case, I've removed my Radeon 9000 and I'm back to my old trusty GeForce2 MX400. Why? The ATI drivers in XFree86 4.3.0 are just too buggy at the moment. DRI causes my whole system to crash, and I've lost some precious work.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5
    I don't care about 3d acceleration. I'm not going to get it until kernel 2.6 is released because I have a KT400 chipset and a AGP8X card. But I NEED a good refresh rate in 2d to use it, and 60Hz isn't good refresh rate.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-05-2004, 05:39 PM
  2. Radeon 9200
    By pamindic in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-12-2004, 09:19 AM
  3. Radeon 9700 driver install?
    By pi in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-06-2003, 01:15 PM
  4. ATI RADEON IGP 320 M aka Radeon Mobility U1 @ laptops
    By www.rzr.online.fr in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-20-2003, 12:41 AM
  5. ATI Radeon
    By donkthemagicllama in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-07-2003, 04:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OEM Genuine 42Wh WDX0R For DELL Inspiron WDXOR Battery 15 5567 5568 13 5368 7368 picture

OEM Genuine 42Wh WDX0R For DELL Inspiron WDXOR Battery 15 5567 5568 13 5368 7368

$22.99



OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5501 5410 5510 E5411 E5511 picture

OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5501 5410 5510 E5411 E5511

$28.99



Lot of 10OEM Dell Latitude 5420 5520 63WH Battery RJ40G M033W - Excellent picture

Lot of 10OEM Dell Latitude 5420 5520 63WH Battery RJ40G M033W - Excellent

$175.00



New Genuine OEM Dell Latitude 5420 5520 3560 4 Cell Laptop Battery RJ40G M033W picture

New Genuine OEM Dell Latitude 5420 5520 3560 4 Cell Laptop Battery RJ40G M033W

$49.95



OEM Genuine 86WH 69KF2 Battery For Dell XPS 15 9500 Precision 5550 M59JH M15 M17 picture

OEM Genuine 86WH 69KF2 Battery For Dell XPS 15 9500 Precision 5550 M59JH M15 M17

$45.49



OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5411 15 5501 5511 Precision 3541 picture

OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5411 15 5501 5511 Precision 3541

$35.78



OEM 74WH 357F9 Battery For Dell Inspiron 15 7559 i7559 7557 i7557 5577 7567 5576 picture

OEM 74WH 357F9 Battery For Dell Inspiron 15 7559 i7559 7557 i7557 5577 7567 5576

$26.99



OEM Genuine 86Wh 69KF2 Battery For Dell XPS 15 9500 Precision 5550 M59JH M15 M17 picture

OEM Genuine 86Wh 69KF2 Battery For Dell XPS 15 9500 Precision 5550 M59JH M15 M17

$35.99



New Dell OEM Inspiron 15 3511 15.6

New Dell OEM Inspiron 15 3511 15.6" Battery 11.25V 41Wh 3467mAh G91J0 MGCM5

$44.95



Genuine OEM 6GTPY 97Wh Battery for Dell XPS 15 7590, 9550 Series 5XJ28 GPM03 New picture

Genuine OEM 6GTPY 97Wh Battery for Dell XPS 15 7590, 9550 Series 5XJ28 GPM03 New

$33.50