-
Knoppix/Win2K Dual Boot using boot.ini
Hello all, I've recently downloaded and installed Knoppix 3.7 on one of my hard disks (using "knx2hd"), and I'm having a little problem. I've successfully set up my ext3 partition, and my linux-swap partition on a SATA drive that I've also got two other partitions on (an NTFS partition for storing downloads in win2000, and a FAT32 partition, so both Knoppix and Windows can read/write from/to it). I've also used knx2hd to copy the knoppix files over to the ext3 partition. However, the problem lies in the fact that I'm trying to use boot.ini to let me chose Knoppix at boot time. I've used the following command to dump the first 512 bytes of the ext3 partition to a binary file:
Code:
dd if=/dev/sda4 of=/mnt/floppy/knoppix.bin /bs512 /count=1
I've also put a line in the end of the boot.ini file so that I can choose "Knoppix 3.7" at boot up:
Code:
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
c:\knoppix.bin="Knoppix 3.7"
However, when I rebooted, I chose the Knoppix OS, and the bootloader echoed "L" followed by lots of "01"'s, and the system hung. This leads me to believe that I'm not generating the knoppix.bin file properly. Can anyone help me, please?
-
After further reading, it appears that LILO may be at odds with my BIOS as to what kind of geometry my hard disks have. I'll try forcing knoppix to boot to my hard drive installation of knoppix, so I can can edit the lilo.conf file. I suspect that this is happening because my knoppix partition is stored on a SATA drive, but I rearranged the partitions such that I had an ext3 partition less than 8 GB as the first partition on the drive, but it didn't work. I'm going to try to get LILO working with the "LINEAR" option as well, just to see if that might work for me.
*edit:
I have also tried booting into my hard disk installation from a knoppix boot floppy that I made during the installation procedure. LILO loaded up no problem, but when I selected either of the Linux options available, I got a "0x01" error, which apparently means that the BIOS doesn't support my drive, even though I know it does!!
Similar Threads
-
By deepak_abc in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 20
Last Post: 08-08-2007, 03:05 AM
-
By destro in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-01-2007, 11:08 PM
-
By Jansi in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-03-2005, 08:31 PM
-
By jimbo62 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-09-2004, 04:22 PM
-
By saberworks in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-28-2004, 11:55 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$239.99

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$319.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD
$219.99

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11
$374.99

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2i 14" 16GB 512GB, Black
$313.00

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2 14" 16GB, Thunder Black
$387.46

Windows 11 PRO Laptop Notebook PC Computer, 8GB Ram, Webcam, Wifi, and HDMI
$144.00

Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$249.99