Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Java programming?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177

    Java programming?

    Can anybody recomend a good free program for linux similar to Jpad Pro for Windows? Also, where to get it. I prefer apt-get, but I'll take whatever is available.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    What are you looking for, a Java IDE?

    Regards,

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177
    Yes, I believe that is the correct term. Let me explain what I'm doing. I'm taking my first ever college class on programming. It happens to be in java. In class we use a program called Jpad pro. What it does it automaticaly creates the headers and footers for you applet and also creates simple html file to call the applet. It has an integrated compiler, debuger, and applet viewer as well as a few other bells and whistles.

    I'm looking for a program, that does the same thing under linux, and price IS an issue. GPL/free would be prefered.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    As far as I know, sunsoft's SDK is free but it is rather slow(written in java) so you may need a fast machine.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    61

    There are lots of Java options

    Depending on your needs. I've tried several of them, but they don't sound exactly like what you want.

    Jedit is a program editor that seems to do well written in java so it should run on Linux as well. Its meant for stand alone work i.e. one program or project at a time.

    NetBeans and Ecllipse are true IDEs more for hardcore dev work than playing around. I personally like ecllipse because the data handling and searching works for just about anything you want! You can organize your class notes with the same program you write with!

    All of theses have decent size dev communities with growing numbers of plug-ins as well.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177
    thanks for the replies. It looks like netbeans or eclipse is what I want.

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    95

    Re: Java programming?

    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb
    Can anybody recomend a good free program for linux similar to Jpad Pro for Windows? Also, where to get it. I prefer apt-get, but I'll take whatever is available.
    You'll want the Java SDK from Blackdown. http://www.blackdown.org. The Sun JDK doesn't really work, probably because its compiled with gcc3.2, which Knoppix uses 2.95.

    Get Netbeans from http://www.netbeans.org. Its a great IDE, with a tonne of features, but sadly it needs a good machine (> 1Ghz, 256MB ram) to run.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    I am curious, why should the gcc used to build the binary be a concern ? I thought at best it relates to something with the share library used in which case KNOPPIX is already using the latest as far as I can tell ?

    BTW, it seems that the default gcc used on KNOPPIX is gcc 3.2 not 2.95, at least that is what I get when I wanted to compile some programs.

Similar Threads

  1. Programming...
    By chris-harry in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-12-2004, 09:36 PM
  2. basic programming
    By schunn99 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-27-2004, 02:22 AM
  3. Java
    By mystical_kakarot in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-10-2004, 09:20 PM
  4. Java Where is it?
    By JAlvoeiro in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-26-2003, 09:43 PM
  5. Programming questions
    By i990315 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-07-2003, 09:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$95.00



Lenovo ThinkSmart Hub 500 10V50000US All-in-One i5 8GB 128GB Win10 NEW SEALED picture

Lenovo ThinkSmart Hub 500 10V50000US All-in-One i5 8GB 128GB Win10 NEW SEALED

$259.00



ASUS GL703V 17.3

ASUS GL703V 17.3" FHD CORE i7-7700HQ 16GB NVIDIA GTX 1050 **NO HDD** T6-B6

$230.00



Dell - XPS 13.4

Dell - XPS 13.4" 3K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 5 Series 3 320 2026 - 8GB...

$599.99



Intel Core i9-11900K 3.5GHz 8-Core 16-Thread LGA1200 Desktop CPU Processor(3536) picture

Intel Core i9-11900K 3.5GHz 8-Core 16-Thread LGA1200 Desktop CPU Processor(3536)

$249.99



MacBook Air 13

MacBook Air 13" Apple M1 8-core - 8-core GPU • 512 GB • RAM 8GB Very Good Cond

$450.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW

$395.00



Lot 5 HP Prodesk 400 G1 PC Mini Intel i5-4590T 2GHz 4GB DDR3 NO HDD NO OS picture

Lot 5 HP Prodesk 400 G1 PC Mini Intel i5-4590T 2GHz 4GB DDR3 NO HDD NO OS

$275.00



HP Omen 870 Intel core I7-6700 3.4 GHz 8 GB ram 1 TB HDD/Win 10 picture

HP Omen 870 Intel core I7-6700 3.4 GHz 8 GB ram 1 TB HDD/Win 10

$99.99