Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Recovering my system and HDD space

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    10

    Recovering my system and HDD space

    Hey everybody....

    I installed SuSe 8 on a DeLL Latitude C610. I tried to get it to dual boot with XP and was unsucessful. So now, I would like to do the following:

    I want to completely get rid of the SuSe installation.

    Somehow I was able to get the laptop booting and it now boots to Windows. I think that I did something bad wit the MBR. I need to make sure that the XP MBR stuff is there and that the SuSe is wiped out.

    I also want to recover that space so Windows can use it.


    Thanks for the help...

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    you might use qtparted or partition magic to remove the partitions with suse and resize the win partitions.

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    I would suggest deleting the Linux partitions but not trying to resize the NTFS partition (always a dangerous approach anyway). Instead I would use a partitioning tool (even the one that comes with XP, although I like Ranish) and create a second Microsoft partition to reuse the now available space. While this could be another NTFS partition, unless you have a need to make this a NTFS partition, I would recommend making it a FAT partition. This will allow you to write to the partition with Knoppix (and other forms of Linux) as well as with XP. Thus you will have hard disk space that you can use when running Knoppix, space where you can write recovered files when XP gets around to crashing, and even space that you can access with other software including DOS.

    I'm not quite clear why we are responding to a post nearly a year old however!
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Similar Threads

  1. Recovering GRUB
    By asearle in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-04-2005, 02:52 PM
  2. HELP on recovering files.....
    By tkurine in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-08-2005, 04:42 PM
  3. old Win98 system: how much space? Can I dual boot?
    By tnrocketman in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-13-2004, 03:32 PM
  4. recovering files
    By fussyoldfart in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-25-2003, 08:56 PM
  5. Need help recovering 2GB of Harddrive space
    By warpedmind in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-13-2003, 01:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$155.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$298.00



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance

$155.75



Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J picture

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J

$40.00



TWO (2) Firewalla Gold Pro Devices - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall picture

TWO (2) Firewalla Gold Pro Devices - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall

$1444.00



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed picture

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed

$202.50



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99