Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: arested booting...

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    10

    arested booting...

    Hello,

    I have a strange problem. I've used my Knoppix v 3.7 cd to boot up all of my PC's at one time or another except for one.

    This one boots off the CD, allows me to either press enter or enter some parameters. I just press enter, the CD spins and the boot up process starts but stop right after the os detect my CD drive and then tries to read it. It take a while but it errors out stating that it can't find the knoppix filesystem on the cd. ???

    It just booted off that cd so it knows there is something there. as I said, i've used that cd on many different pc's (not just my home ones) and even installed to Hard disk a few time with absolutely no problems.

    Any one run across this? any one have any thoughts?

    Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

    system... DELL P3 550 128Ram

    NGS

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: arested booting...

    Quote Originally Posted by ngs
    ....It just booted off that cd so it knows there is something there. as I said, i've used that cd on many different pc's (not just my home ones) and even installed to Hard disk ....
    I suspect one of two problems:
    • If the CD was written at high speed (such as 40x), you might be seeing a problem that many others have seen where it can be read on some systems but not others. Burning the same ISO file at low speed (ie. 4x) usually resolves this.

      You may need some cheat codes while booting that particular hardware. Try knoppix nodma at boot for starters.

    Normally I would also ask if you checked the md5 sum of the iso, but that the CD does boot ok on some systems seems to make that less of an issue. (Couldn't hurt though if you still have the ISO file.)

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    10

    Re: arested booting...

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Normally I would also ask if you checked the md5 sum of the iso, but that the CD does boot ok on some systems seems to make that less of an issue. (Couldn't hurt though if you still have the ISO file.)
    Thanks, I will try this tonight when I get home.

    I regards to the MD5 issue, yes I did check. The first time I downloaded this ISO file caused me to burn a coaster so since then I alway check.

    I will also experimennt and burn the cd a the speed you recomend to see if indeed it makes a difference.

    thanks for your advice.

    NGS

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    10

    arested booting...

    Hi Again...

    Burning a cd at lower speed did not work. but Booting up with the nodma param did work(much faster booting btw). Boot up problem solved for now unless it affect the followong problem... When I issue the commands iwconfig ath0 essid...channel.... key..... the are accepted. then pump -i ath0 And I get a failure.

    The wireless card is idnetical to the pc i'm writing this from. Those commands work on this PC. If anyone have ideas about this problem again I'd be grateful to hear.

    Another question is... how do I get DVD movies to play on this PC. Knoppix 3.7 installed on HD. I can't seem to get them going on XINE. something about the dvd player plugin not installed. Will post more info about this last problem when I have time to play with the dvd again and capture the error.

    Thanks again,
    NGS

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Glad nodma helped. I don't think it has anything to do with the wireless card not working, but I can't help you get it working.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Glad nodma helped. I don't think it has anything to do with the wireless card not working, but I can't help you get it working.
    No Problem... I'll keep bashing at it until I get it working. The important thing is that it did boot up.

    thank you very much for the advice.

    A la prochaine...
    NGS

Similar Threads

  1. Problems booting. freezes when booting
    By jtsymbo in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-23-2006, 01:08 AM
  2. Booting booting... CRASH
    By mortfrog in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-15-2004, 06:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



SanDisk Ultra Luxe USB 3.1 Flash Drive – 5 Pack | Premium Metal USB Flash Drives picture

SanDisk Ultra Luxe USB 3.1 Flash Drive – 5 Pack | Premium Metal USB Flash Drives

$59.99



2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive picture

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive

$59.99



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00