Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: PLEASE HELP !!!: Cannot get DIAMOND modem to work!!

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    35

    PLEASE HELP !!!: Cannot get DIAMOND modem to work!!

    How can I get this Diamond Supra Express Pro 56e external Serial modem to work? This modem dials the ISP, connects me, gets an IP address assigned and then get a message stating LOGGING ONTO NETWORK and then I get pppd timedout, I am at my wits ends in solving this problem, Any help is appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Alan

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    260
    If you are using kppp to access the modem try enabling the debug option
    and then see what error message you get.

    I think you can also start kppp from a terminal window and, leaving the
    terminal open see what messages you get there. An error message will
    usually go a long way towards providing answers. Also see "man pppd"

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    35
    My Friend I have triedevrything I know, /etc/ppp/options, PAp-Secrets, Chap-secrets, AT COmmands that I experimented with, wvdial etc. No luck yet. It is got something to do with pppd. Besides, the S/N is low on my modem. Many folks have had problem with this model, I am just hoping if some one has got it working share their AT Commands.

    Thanks

    Alan

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Avoid Kppp.

    Use pppconfig to set up the modem, pon to connect and poff to disconnect.

    I take it you're doing this from the live CD?

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    35
    I have installed it on HD, I will pppconfig a try, is it like wvdial? Let you know soon. The modem chip is some ACF chip from Conextant. I tried many AT commands that have not been useful as such.

    Commands like
    AT&F2 gives me error

    AT&F&C1&D2+MS=v34
    AT&F&C1&D2+K3+MS=v34

    AT&F&C1&D2s10=200+MS=v90,1
    AT&F&C1&D2&K3+MS=v90,0

    AAT&F&C1&D2
    AT&F&C1&D2s95=3
    AT&F&C1&D2W2

    Lets the original problem exist with LOGGING ONTO NETWORK and then timing out.

    Lets see what pppconfig does

    Alan

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    I have installed it on HD
    Ah, in that case make sure you're in the dip and diallup groups. (su to root and vim /etc/group).

    Is it like wvdial? Well, it's simpler than wvdial and easier to set up.


    Something to consider could be that your ISP doesn't use conventional pap or chap authentification, but something proprietary (like AOL).

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Hang on,
    The modem chip is some ACF chip from Conextant.
    and this is an external serial modem?

    If I'm getting this wrong, please forgive me, but the modem is a black box about 6" square , 1.5" tall with red lights on the front which sits outside the computer?

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    35
    Yes it is a small Black Box, I guess it has some problem with S/N becoz I keep getting CD low waiting for 20ms like 50 times in WinXP. Do you have a Diamond SupraExpress 56e Pro as well. Please let me know what exact AT commands you are using if so.

    BTW pppconfig worked, it is easier than kppp & wvdial. But, I am having problem using pppconfig on another computer with SimplyMEPIS, I still continue to get ppp timedout with this modem with SimplyMEPIS on this computer.

    Thanks

    Alan

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    260
    Another thing to try might be minicom -s which once you learn to use it will let you send those ATDT commands to your modem.
    If you can get the right commands-who knows. I had to do this on my external modem. (not your make & model)
    My modem doesn't work with ATZ instead uses AT&F&C&D2V1 plus for the 2nd intilal string ATE1 Minicom helped me
    get it working.

    BTW I don't see what's wrong with using kppp once all that is worked out-it works fine for me.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Do you have a Diamond SupraExpress 56e Pro as well. Please let me know what exact AT commands you are using if so.
    Yes, same model (perhaps a different batch -- I got mine over 2 years ago). I don't use any AT commands: for me, it worked (and always has worked) straight out of the box.

Similar Threads

  1. How can I get sl-modem to work in knoppix 4.0.2?
    By knopx4me in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-11-2005, 08:45 AM
  2. Diamond Homfree PCI Phone Netwok Card
    By Dr Snark in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-03-2004, 11:05 PM
  3. Internal modem; anyone get one to work???
    By The Fader in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-18-2004, 09:30 PM
  4. USB Diamond Supramax modem non-detected..
    By nooben in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-16-2003, 02:12 AM
  5. diamond supramax 56k pci modem (not found)
    By littleberry in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-31-2003, 02:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung MLT-R116 Imaging Unit Xpress M2625 M2675 M2825 M2875 M2885 M3015 OEM NEW picture

Samsung MLT-R116 Imaging Unit Xpress M2625 M2675 M2825 M2875 M2885 M3015 OEM NEW

$49.99



Samsung 2TB 9100 PRO 14,700MB/s PCIe 5.0 x4 NVMe M.2 2280 SSD (MZ-VAP2T0B/AM) picture

Samsung 2TB 9100 PRO 14,700MB/s PCIe 5.0 x4 NVMe M.2 2280 SSD (MZ-VAP2T0B/AM)

$399.49



Samsung Galaxy Tab S10 Lite 10.9

Samsung Galaxy Tab S10 Lite 10.9" 128GB Silver Wi-Fi SM-X400NZSAXAR

$206.00



Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/  64 gig/WIFI picture

Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/ 64 gig/WIFI

$85.00



Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills) picture

Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills)

$57.99



Magnetic Leather Flip Case with Stand for Samsung Tab S9 S9+ S10+ S10 Ultra picture

Magnetic Leather Flip Case with Stand for Samsung Tab S9 S9+ S10+ S10 Ultra

$13.99



Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc picture

Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc

$27.99



Samsung 16GB Lot Of 14 Modules (224gb Total) 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA Laptop Memory picture

Samsung 16GB Lot Of 14 Modules (224gb Total) 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA Laptop Memory

$899.99



Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+ SM-X210 128 GB, Wi-Fi, 11 in - Silver picture

Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+ SM-X210 128 GB, Wi-Fi, 11 in - Silver

$110.00



Samsung XE303 C12 Chromebook 11.6 1.7GHz, 2GB Ram, 16GB SSD, working condition picture

Samsung XE303 C12 Chromebook 11.6 1.7GHz, 2GB Ram, 16GB SSD, working condition

$42.00