Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Confused Newbie vs Knoppix 3.7. Round 1.

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    38

    Confused Newbie vs Knoppix 3.7. Round 1.

    Hi all. I'm trying to run the live cd on top of an ancient w98se platform (old bits 'n pieces), and I'm not being that successful.

    At first, it was booting fine until it got to the 'Scanning for HD partitions and creating /etc/fstab..' msg, and then it would hang. So, having no real idea of what fstab is, I chucked the 'nofstab' cheat at the start, and got the boot process to go a bit further.

    Now I get as far as a 'Starting some sort of window' msg, and then my monitor image turns to cheese, and its standby lights come on. The cd is still running at this point, but stops after a few minutes.

    The boot script says that it's picked up my graphics card (a 3dfx voodoo banshee) and now I'm clueless as to what to try next. Any ideas out there?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    The following line almost always works with old weird hardware that I test:
    knoppix nodma noscsi noacpi noapic nofirewire nosmp noapm nofstab screen=800x600 xvrefresh=60 desktop=icewm

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    38
    Thanks mate - I re-read the docs and decided to try the fb800x600 comment - I'd associated it with notebooks and disregarded it before. Anyway, it worked like a charm and after adding the fstab comment I was in like flint!

    Now I'm going to try your version and see if I get any more than 9% resources free ....

    Future projects: Getting BB to work, finding a load more old ram, sending this baby to HD. I'll keep you posted of my failures .

    Cheers!

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 3.9 hdinstall - Confused!
    By jayzon915 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-22-2006, 11:53 PM
  2. Confused
    By samhainbaphomet in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-04-2005, 11:04 AM
  3. very confused....
    By poundsmack in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-23-2004, 10:02 AM
  4. Installing Knoppix to HDD Totally Confused?!!
    By OMFG in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 06:26 AM
  5. dpkg Confused
    By none1 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-07-2004, 12:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2

$75.99



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile picture

Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile

$18.49



WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure picture

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure

$119.99



Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array

$55.00



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go picture

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go

$75.00