Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Behaving like Windows ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3

    Behaving like Windows ...

    Hey Folks,

    I don't want to insult anybody, but I had a very weird experience just now. I'm running Knoppix (3.7?) and was listening to some cds on XMMS. CD x finished playing, so I inserted X+1, added the tracks to the playlist and clicked on play - business as usual thus far. Well, some seconds later I discovered that the mouse pointer was frozen. And so was everything else. I tried Ctl-Tab to change desktops. Nothing. I tried Ctl-Alt-F1 to go to console login. Nothing. In the meantime the 1st track on the cd (Mark Lanegan - Whiskey for the Holy Ghost, if you wanted to know) was playing. But when it ended, that was it. Track 2 did not play. Btw, while track 1 was playing, the XMMS display was not being updated (you know, time left, track name, etc.).

    Anyhoo, I realised that this problem was beyond my limited capabilitiesd and, like a good ol' windows (what's the ASCII code for that trademark thingy?) user, I hit the reset button and sat back, waiting for the problem to "disappear". Well I usually boot into the graphical login, but this time it took me to the console login. No sweat, GRUB offers me three options (Linux, Linux 2.4 and Linux 2.6), so I picked another option and booted. But, lo, I ended at the text login once again. No sweat, got one option left, reboot time (good ol' windows, eh)!

    Except that this option didn't boot. Started booting and, about two seconds later, started hanging. Ain't nothing happening here, move along folks.

    So I rebooted again and waddayaknow? Booted right into the graphical login... Go figure...

    So, if anybody has had a similar experience or if anybody can state categorically that this is "an undocumented feature", please post something to that effect, because it's got me worried - if I wanted this kind of behaviour, I would have stuck with windows.

    Cheers
    Joe

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    50
    Honestly, this sounds an awful lot like a hardware problem. At first I thought it sounded like a hard drive problem, except you said that it seemed to correct itself after a second boot.

    This is not normal behavior. When something like this happens on a Linux system, it happens for a reason. What I would do is install the smartmontools package, which will report any errors your hard drive is reporting just to be sure.

    But what it sounds like to me, is that you might have a case of bad RAM. I'd also try booting with a Knoppix CD with the "memtest" cheat code and see what the story is with your RAM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    just an aditi0onal thing. let the memtest run for a LOOOONG while. sometimes ram might not fail first or even second pass.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    200
    Your experience was most likely due to the filesystem being incorrectly shut down. A few reboots will usually cause the filesystem to be checked and corrected at some point. Glad to hear you are back up and running.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3

    Good advice all round.

    Thanx for the good advice guys, it's much appreciated.

    I'll install smartmontools and run the memtest (and come running for help **if** something goes wrong .

    Cheers

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    205
    Not long ago I was surprised to hear a tech (my son, actually) tell me about a system he worked on that turned out to have a bad stick of memory. I haven't had any such problems in a long, long time and thought that they were a thing of the past.

    Not so, apparently, and the symptoms can be very confusing. He had looked at the hard drive and a few other likely suspects before finally tracking it down.

    When programs get copied into bad memory, they don't work right. When stuff is written from bad memory to hard drive, it's corrupted so that even if it gets copied into good memory the next time, it's still bad.

    Yuck, yuck, yuck. And do run different patterns, the more variety, complexity, and length of time, the more likely you'll find the rotten apples.

    -- Ed

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    235
    Here's a trick I did from windows, but you can also try it in knoppix or any linux distro that supports a ramdisk:
    Create a ramdisk to use almost all of your memory and put a filesystem on it.
    Then you can run fschk on the ramdisk and when it hits the bad block on the memory it will short that chip out, causing your system to crash totally. Don't worry, just reboot and try again, and repeat as often till it doesn't short out anymore.
    Basically, what happens (in theory) is that the fschk will attempt to patch the bad block and when it can't, it will be marked as bad so you won't be using that bad block anymore. As a result you might see less memory available but it will be useable and reliable.
    I did this a long time ago out of the blue when I was having trouble getting correct memory reads and then I had a ramdisk that used all of my memory and ran a thorough scandisk on it with the fix enabled.
    It shorted out the bad blocks and crashed windows. Then I rebooted and noticed that I had slightly less memory but what was left was reliable since scandisk didn't short it out anymore afterwards.
    Oh and by the way, this doesn't take long at all, almost instantaneous IIRC.

    Durand

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1
    Hi,
    I have a problem that's just like his, here's what happened: While I was using my computer to download something, it froze, and I tried to go to the console using ctrl+alt+F1 but it didn't work at all, by the way this happens to me very often, so what I did was press the restart button, and as always, I can't go back to graphical login, all I got is console login, and doesn't matter how many times I try, it won't go back to graphical login, I believe that this is probably caused by not shutting down the OS properly. Does anyone know a way to go back to graphical login from the console, or a way to make it boot strait into graphical login? Oh, another thing, Today, before the computer crashed, my computer was on for approxmately 3 hours,it wasn't used at all and when I come back, everything is working very slow at first I even thought it was frozen, but when I restart it, it was running fine again. Can anyone tell me what is wrong with my computer? If I can't find out what is wrong I really have no choice but to use windows, cause the windows on the same computer is working just fine.

    ps. I am a total noob to Linux, so please use the simplest explanation.

    ~oceanl

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4
    Hi, i had that problem of the graphical login not loading up and i managed to solve it. Don't know wether it'll have the same results as you though.
    At the console login, i loged in to root. Typed "init 5" a few instances. Then rebooted. After that, my computer would be back to normal. Hope that works somehow.

Similar Threads

  1. X windows without Windows Manager
    By jlregister in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-26-2005, 12:10 AM
  2. How to install WINDOWS 2000 besides LINUX and WINDOWS 98
    By legal in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-15-2004, 04:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$285.97



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox

$620.00



Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays picture

Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays

$599.99



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1... picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1...

$324.99