-
I've tried reformating the Jumpdrive in Win98SE on another machine and tried it again in Knoppix but same result. I didn't dare use Fdisk on it yet, I want to try the tip that you very kindly included as a link in your message. I have an idea, correct me if I am wrong: could it be that the stick is factory-formatted to FAT16 ? You're right, my CD burner is the only CD drive in the laptop. I've done a lot of trawling on the Net, seems like there are tons of people out there with similar problems, regarding USB stick being recognised. I am trying to find the quickest way to off load the files from the XP drive and then start afresh with Linux. I have been downloading ISO images of other live CDs just to see if they would recognise the Jumpdrive. I figured that I could continue with my work while it's downloading and then I could see if that particular distribution recognises the stick - the exercise would also help note which flavour of Linux appeals to me. Both Suse and Slack recognised the Jumpdrive straight off but when I try to mount, they both give me 'bad block' or incorrect filesystem type error messages. That got me thinking that your suspicions were probably right, they can see the device, they just don't like the media format. So my next approach is to try Harry's idea, if that fails I will have to go and buy another USB stick, perhaps a brand that is definitely detected by Knoppix (my favourite distro still) and hopefully check that it's FAT32 formattable (or even NTFS). Could I format the current USB stick through Knoppix?
Similar Threads
-
By AsianGuyJTran in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-07-2005, 01:40 AM
-
By GaTk in forum The Lounge
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-21-2005, 12:56 PM
-
By bob58 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 03-08-2005, 08:10 PM
-
By bob58 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-13-2005, 03:30 AM
-
By VeeDubb in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 12
Last Post: 12-27-2003, 07:18 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Qty.8 Samsung 16GB 2RX4 Pc4 2133P M393A2G40DB0-CPB0Q Ram Memory
$599.99

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

Samsung Galaxy Tab S9 FE+ 12.4" 128GB Gray WiFi Tablet w/ S Pen SM-X610NZACXAR
$399.00

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW
$120.00

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung
$89.99

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99

Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Charging Port 100% Original Oem
$98.99

Samsung 24" S3 Essential IPS 100Hz Monitor | Sealed | Fast shipping
$50.00