Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Quantian clustering

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3

    Quantian clustering

    Not sure if this is the right forum for this but I'll give it a shot and prepare to be moved

    So I am building a fairly large cluster (~60 node) for the quantum computing lab at my school... and I was hoping to get some help with some of the configurations that I am struggling with... The requirements for the cluster are: 1) the IPs for the nodes are statically assigned based on MAC... 2) the DVD be copied to the HD and used to boot the nodes (this should be easy but for some reason I am struggling with it)... 3) the hard drive should be shared over the network so that work done on the cluster can be stored there and accessed via SSH... any thoughts would be most appreciated and thanks in advance =)

    PS... well, it looks like fixed mapping is achieved via the PXE config on the server... editting the /etc/dhcpd.conf file... but openmosix overwrites this file when it starts... intriguing problems...

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Western MA.
    Posts
    111
    Do search for ClusterKnoppix, Quantain is based on it.
    1. I have come to the same conclusion about the dhcp being overwritten. It seems like a good way to bind the MAC to a IP address for a diskless node. I am currently booting nodes from a short script. It uses etherwake+MAC and sleep command to boot the nodes in a timed orderly fashion. Along with the Terminal server allocating ip address in a decending manner. Default ip is 192.168.0.200, next 192.168.0.199, ect. It works by giving the same IP to the same MAC address. It's not great but it works. I have also have had NFS mount get "swamped" by to many nodes booting at once. Some of the nodes will wind up as zombies...
    I also shut them down with a script. To boot again correctly, they need to be powered down to a "warm" state. The command that works for me is "ssh NODE halt -p -d -i -f"
    2. Many have struggled with a hard drive install. There is an * missing from the Knoppix-terminalopenmosix script. Search this forum for a more detailed answer.
    3. I was able to shorten the node boot times considerably :
    "gethostip 192.168.0.200"
    C0A800C8
    create a file with this name and copy the pxelinux.default to it. Place it in the pxelinux directory. Now the node wont nibble slowly away at the ip address it skips straight to default. While this is good it dosent bind it to a MAC address as far as I can tell.
    johnb

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3
    thank you for the ideas =)
    i switched the cluster over to clusterKnoppix since it really doesn't matter... I was able to get the HD to hold the boot image for the nodes... and I am intrigued by the idea of powering them on in order like you mentioned... what sort of script was it (if you don't mind sharing) that enabled you to do that?
    I also am a bit confused about the procedure to shorten boot time... I understand what you are getting at with the creating of a file so the node doesn't try to trim away at the address... is the file name just those 8 characters? thank you again for your help
    -david

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Western MA.
    Posts
    111
    I will post a pretty good how-to soon.
    sorry my time is short at the moment
    johnb

Similar Threads

  1. How About QUANTIAN?
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum Other Live CDs
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-19-2007, 06:29 PM
  2. Clustering?
    By dvryknopper in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-15-2006, 02:23 AM
  3. HD Install and Clustering...
    By Kermit42 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-02-2005, 01:38 PM
  4. Clustering Help
    By aznchowboy650 in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-19-2005, 01:34 AM
  5. Quantian: A Knoppix remastering for Scientific Computing
    By edd in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-01-2004, 01:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.50



LOT OF 3 Micron 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA DDR4 ECC Server Memory picture

LOT OF 3 Micron 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA DDR4 ECC Server Memory

$255.00



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK picture

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK

$799.00



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



HMAA8GR7AJR4N-XN - SK Hynix 64GB PC4-25600 DDR4-3200MHz Registered ECC DIMM Dual picture

HMAA8GR7AJR4N-XN - SK Hynix 64GB PC4-25600 DDR4-3200MHz Registered ECC DIMM Dual

$493.31



5 in 1 Memory Card Reader USB 3.0 OTG Adapter SD Card Reader For iPhone/iPad LOT picture

5 in 1 Memory Card Reader USB 3.0 OTG Adapter SD Card Reader For iPhone/iPad LOT

$9.99



Dell Precision 3541 Laptop i5-9300H 2.4GHz 256GB SSD 16GB RAM Win 11 Pro picture

Dell Precision 3541 Laptop i5-9300H 2.4GHz 256GB SSD 16GB RAM Win 11 Pro

$189.99