-
Quantian clustering
Not sure if this is the right forum for this but I'll give it a shot and prepare to be moved
So I am building a fairly large cluster (~60 node) for the quantum computing lab at my school... and I was hoping to get some help with some of the configurations that I am struggling with... The requirements for the cluster are: 1) the IPs for the nodes are statically assigned based on MAC... 2) the DVD be copied to the HD and used to boot the nodes (this should be easy but for some reason I am struggling with it)... 3) the hard drive should be shared over the network so that work done on the cluster can be stored there and accessed via SSH... any thoughts would be most appreciated and thanks in advance =)
PS... well, it looks like fixed mapping is achieved via the PXE config on the server... editting the /etc/dhcpd.conf file... but openmosix overwrites this file when it starts... intriguing problems...
-
Senior Member
registered user
Do search for ClusterKnoppix, Quantain is based on it.
1. I have come to the same conclusion about the dhcp being overwritten. It seems like a good way to bind the MAC to a IP address for a diskless node. I am currently booting nodes from a short script. It uses etherwake+MAC and sleep command to boot the nodes in a timed orderly fashion. Along with the Terminal server allocating ip address in a decending manner. Default ip is 192.168.0.200, next 192.168.0.199, ect. It works by giving the same IP to the same MAC address. It's not great but it works. I have also have had NFS mount get "swamped" by to many nodes booting at once. Some of the nodes will wind up as zombies...
I also shut them down with a script. To boot again correctly, they need to be powered down to a "warm" state. The command that works for me is "ssh NODE halt -p -d -i -f"
2. Many have struggled with a hard drive install. There is an * missing from the Knoppix-terminalopenmosix script. Search this forum for a more detailed answer.
3. I was able to shorten the node boot times considerably :
"gethostip 192.168.0.200"
C0A800C8
create a file with this name and copy the pxelinux.default to it. Place it in the pxelinux directory. Now the node wont nibble slowly away at the ip address it skips straight to default. While this is good it dosent bind it to a MAC address as far as I can tell.
johnb
-
thank you for the ideas =)
i switched the cluster over to clusterKnoppix since it really doesn't matter... I was able to get the HD to hold the boot image for the nodes... and I am intrigued by the idea of powering them on in order like you mentioned... what sort of script was it (if you don't mind sharing) that enabled you to do that?
I also am a bit confused about the procedure to shorten boot time... I understand what you are getting at with the creating of a file so the node doesn't try to trim away at the address... is the file name just those 8 characters? thank you again for your help
-david
-
Senior Member
registered user
I will post a pretty good how-to soon.
sorry my time is short at the moment
johnb
Similar Threads
-
By A. Jorge Garcia in forum Other Live CDs
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-19-2007, 06:29 PM
-
By dvryknopper in forum The Lounge
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-15-2006, 02:23 AM
-
By Kermit42 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-02-2005, 01:38 PM
-
By aznchowboy650 in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 01-19-2005, 01:34 AM
-
By edd in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 11
Last Post: 05-01-2004, 01:38 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5
$189.99

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99

Compo MSI B150I GAMING PRO AC LGA1151 16 Gb DDR4 + Cpu I7 6700+I/O Shields.
$159.00

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99

Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)
$29.90

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio
$34.99

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB
$69.99

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99

ASRock Z370 Pro4 LGA 1151 Z370 HDMI USB 3.1 2 Ultra M.2 DDR4 ATX Motherboard
$75.00