Try xmodule=radeon or xmodule=atiOriginally Posted by iss
And I would also suggest posting the output of "sudo lspci -v" (only the part about your card) so Klaus Knopper cn add it to the autodetect scripts.
Hi,
I'm new to Linux alltogether, I'm trying to make the change from a Windows Background.
I was pointed to Knoppix and the release that I currently have on Cd is Knoppix 3.2 21/03/2003 Beta.
I have a new Dell Optiplex GX260 which is capable of loading knoppix. Eventially I wanto to be able to Dual-boot with Knoppix and windows 2000.
I am able to load Knoppix on CD if I do the following commands.
Knoppix testcd or knoppix failsafe.
Once I try to run knoppix on its own, I get the following errors.
Starting X11.....
Retrying with Server XFree86 (vesa).
Retrying with Server XFree86 (fbdev).
Error: No Suitable X-Server found for your card.
I have tried many cheat codes, but I always get the same message.
Also I have tried to go into expert mode and edit XF86Config.
None of these attempts were successful.
Here are some of my settings when loading up:
Video is ATI|Radeon RV200 QW [Radeon 7500], using XFree86 (radeon) Server
Monitor is DELe000, H:30-80KHz, V:56-85Hz
Using Modes "1024X768" "800X600" "640X480"
If anyone can help me, it will be appreciated as i want to install Knoppix to my harddrive as soon as possible.
Thanks
Iss
Try xmodule=radeon or xmodule=atiOriginally Posted by iss
And I would also suggest posting the output of "sudo lspci -v" (only the part about your card) so Klaus Knopper cn add it to the autodetect scripts.
Hi guys
Did you fixed that error, because i get the same and i dont know what to do
thanks
Hi guys,
I tried both xmodule=radeon or xmodule=ati and they were both unsuccessful.
Here are the results of the sudo lspci -v command:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon 7500 QW (prog-if 00 [VGA])
Subsystem: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 103a
Flags: Stepping, 66Mhz, medium devsel, IRQ 16
Memory at f0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
I/O ports at ec00 [size=256]
Memory at ff8f0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)[size=64K]
Expansion ROM at 80000000 [disabled][size=128k]
Capabilities: [58] AGP version 2.0
Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
Any Suggestions will be welcomed.
Thanks,
Iss
Hi guys,
I have some more information, which should be helpful.
Here are some errors that comeup when booting:
1) Error: One processor only found.
PCI: Device 00:1f.1 not available because of resource collisions.
2) Autoconfiguring devices ____ insmod: insmod: a module named input already exists
insmod: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/kernel/drivers/input/input.o failed
insmod: insmod: insmod usbmouse failed
______________________ Done.
Also I did some more testing with some more cheat codes
and there were two parameters that brought back some
results these were:
1 - nofirewire - Knoppix booted successfully, but the problem was
that my usb mouse didn't work, however my
usb keyboard worked.
2 - nousb - Knoppix booted successfully and both my usb mouse
and usb keyboard worked.
I hope this info will be of assistants.
Thanks,
Iss
Sounds like IRQ conflicts to me.Originally Posted by iss
Now this is EXACTLY what I am referring to in my sig line. Thank you iss for taking the time to post what YOU did to resolve your problems. RIGHT ON!Also I did some more testing with some more cheat codes
and there were two parameters that brought back some
results these were:
1 - nofirewire - Knoppix booted successfully, but the problem was
that my usb mouse didn't work, however my
usb keyboard worked.
2 - nousb - Knoppix booted successfully and both my usb mouse
and usb keyboard worked.
I hope this info will be of assistants.
Thanks,
IssSo many people have all the time in the world when they need something fixed on their system but it's funny how so many of them are just too busy to post back with results whether they be good OR bad. I'm sure that if any of you reading this have searched the forums you have encountered several dead-end posts. You thought you had something you could use only to get to an end that has no resolution. THAT SUCKS!
![]()
yes, I have exactly the same problem with the Dell OptiPlex GX260.
I hope we're not overlooking the obvious here. Have you guys tried:Originally Posted by iss
boot: nosmp

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99
ASRock Z890 Nova WiFi LGA 1851 Intel Z890 ATX Motherboard
$184.99
GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX ATX Intel LGA1700 DDR5 Wi-Fi 6E Gaming
$125.00
Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99
GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99
JINSHA B450M B450 AM4 MicroATX Motherboard DDR4 2DIMM M.2 W/ IO SHIELD
$49.99
ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
$76.49
ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB
$69.99
ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW
$121.45
MSI B460m-Bomber LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen B460 M-ATX Intel Motherboard
$59.99