-
Can't detect network
I have three computers connected to a speedtouch ADSL-router. Two of the computers have identical networkcards, Accton EN1207D. When use the cebit 3.8 none of them can detect the network. 3.7 works perfect. My third computer has a 3com card and and no problem with networkdetection. Help
-
Junior Member
registered user
Re: Sorry,

Originally Posted by
erschand
I'm confused.
I am running Windows XP SP2.
I dl'd the Knoppix-for-Win CD from the many torrents.
I insert the CD, it chugs for a bit....and then nothing.
I try to execute the qemu-knoppix and qemu-win .bat files, and
they just close the CMD prompt.
What am I doing wrong??
Thanks,
ers
Hi-This won't address your issues with the CD but here is a page with great instructions on using QEmu with any knoppix iso. http://www.pcquest.com/content/hands.../105010305.asp
Yours-tbobz
-
Someone couldn't run the thing because their CD drive was not found by the sequence at the beginning of the qemu*\*.bat file. If that's the problem, copy the CD (as files) to a directory, fix the bat file so it will find your CD player, burn it to a new CD, and try again.
Others have not had things working because 'qemu' could not get hold of 1GB of memory (real + paging space). If this might be the problem, either 'up' the paging space on your system, or change the '-m 1024' in the bat file to something lower and try again.
You can run the thing from disk; the CD is just for effect. Put the files in the right place and then a command like 'subst f: c:\knoppix-cd-files\' will (surprisingly) do the job.
The various 'bat' files are set to close windows when they terminate; if you edit them to take out any 'echo off' commands and 'exit' commands, and change the 'start qemu' to just 'qemu', then any error messages you get should be left on the screen. Post them here and people will try to crack the problem.
Failing that, you can always get the source for everything and start putting in 'printf' statements
-

Originally Posted by
ruymbeke

Originally Posted by
moiz
Can kpx 3.8 save files on NTFS? How can I turn it on?
D
try the capture ntfs scrip from the knoppux menu. But be careful...
Captive NTFS won't work if you already have installed SP2 in your XP box. 
--GN
-
Senior Member
registered user
Just How Big of a Download?
<<apt-get update >>
<<apt-get -t unstable install kdelibs4 >>
Just out of curiosity. How big of an apt-get in megabytes are we talking about here?
sakiZ
-
How can I set the Knoppix language to english? I can't understand german (or dutch, or whatever the language is)..
Or should I download an english version of it?
Thanks
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
HawkTheWiz
How can I set the Knoppix language to english? I can't understand german (or dutch, or whatever the language is)..
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=78752#78752
-
Senior Member
registered user
General question regarding Unionfs in Cebit v3.8.
What format is utilized in the Unionfs program material placed in ramdisc?
Will Unionfs perform correctly if the Knoppix CD is mounted TORAM?
What are the performance limits in KnoppixCD as regards the size of Unionfs downloads?
Can downloads be made from other distros?
Can the unionfs data be written to HDD directly through mount of HDD (especially in TORAM mode)?
Is there a tutorial which addresses how to use unionfs?
-
Senior Member
registered user
I answer your questions to the best of my ability but please note that I am learning about unionfs the same way everyone else is by experiementing & reading.
>What format is utilized in the Unionfs program material placed in ramdisc?
I gather this question is asking if the files are compressed like a cloop or squashfs. As far as I can tell, they are not compressed. You probably already know this, UnionFS is just the *logical* mounting of filesystems on top of another filesystem. UnionFS is special because it allows for fine grained transparency so that the system and use the filesystem on top but can still access the filesystem underneath.
>Will Unionfs perform correctly if the Knoppix CD is mounted TORAM?
I have no idea. I have 1 PC that has a 1GB of RAM & maybe I will try it tomorrow.
>What are the performance limits in KnoppixCD as regards the size of Unionfs downloads?
Again no idea. I figure someone can test this by simply downloading things like .tar.gz, .deb, mp3, jpg files until the ramspace fills up. What happens then? Is the system unable to open a new program without resorting to use swap space? I have no idea until I test it.
>Can downloads be made from other distros?
I do not understand this question. Please elaborate.
>Can the unionfs data be written to HDD directly through mount of HDD (especially in TORAM mode)?
Probably yes. But I guess that it would have to be done manually. As far as I can recall, the UnionFS mount takes a portion of the system's RAM and mounts it writeable on top of the knoppix CD's /. Thus /ramdisk holds changes to /. To store the changed filesystem, it should be as simple as mounting a usable HD partition & then cp or rsync /ramdisk to that partition.
> Is there a tutorial which addresses how to use unionfs?
To my knowledge, there is no simple tutorial or howto for unionfs + knoppix. Sources for info are Linux Journal article on UnionFS, the official UnionFS homepage at SUNY StonyBrook sunysb.edu, the Knoppix developer mailing list, the knoppix derived distro Helix had a working UnionFS implementation public about 2 weeks before Knoppix 3.8, and of course the here at these forums.
On a separate note, I have noticed that you have posted these questions (or similar ones) before, both here at the forums and also on Kyle Rakin's Knoppix 3.8 article. It is most likely that everyone else is just begining to learn about unionfs. If you have additional unionfs + knoppix questions still unanswered you should either contact Klaus Knopper or Fabian Franz (Knoppix devels) or perhaps contact the UnionFS researchers.
-
Senior Member
registered user
underscore;
Please accept my congrats for attempting to answer the queries I made.
I note that you have researched the same areas I have visited.
I have assumed the Unionfs material obtained by apt-get install would be uncompressed since that is the normal Debian system. perhaps the result can then be compressed?
In regards the use of Unionfs, I find two descriptions of the use: mount -t unionfs -o dir=/dir0ne:/dirtwo none /combined is one such...
The other which performs with Knoppix is:
su apt-get-update Edit: s/b apt-get update
su apt-get-install (pkg name) Edit s/b apt-get install (etc.
I assume I could run many pkgs with the above statement in root, as many as the ramdisc will accept plus the additional in swap space.
I would expect that the minirt.gz may have to be modified to accept GB sized pkgs list since it is limited in Knoppix CD to 800MB.
Thus if one used the CD burned to a DVD and suitably modified minirt.gz , a large Unionfs download seems possible.
Transferring the large GB sized Unionfs data to HDD would then give the data for compressing the result and generating a KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file.
The downloading would have to be in stages in order to provide the ~9GB of programs uncompressed which translate to a 4.4GB full-capacity DVD disc.
The whole purpose here is to test the "split" .iso procedure outlined in Knoppix DVD forum which permits the DVD to be fully utilized by employing mapping technique for the KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX.iso and the standard isolinux .iso for the boot portion.
I have 3GB of ram and 2GB of swap to utilize so I would need a couple of loads into Unionfs to obtain the programs.
I have no experience with downloads from Debian and wouldn't know if a given program was included as valid for the 3.8Knoppix Cebit CD kernel 2.6.11.
Asking may get you knowwhere>>>>>>>>>
Similar Threads
-
By Becu in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 5
Last Post: 04-08-2005, 04:12 AM
-
By eco2geek in forum The Lounge
Replies: 13
Last Post: 03-29-2005, 03:14 PM
-
By Steve F in forum Ideas
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-13-2004, 07:49 AM
-
Replies: 35
Last Post: 10-03-2004, 01:39 AM
-
By Jack_ in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-18-2004, 08:27 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Apple 40W Dynamic Power Adapter 60W Max for iPhone/iPad/AirPods/MacBooks OEM
$17.99

OEM Apple Data Migration Toolkit for A1706 A1707 MacBook Pro PN 076-00236
$549.99

Genuine Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable 6FT White OEM MacBook MK122LL/A
$10.99

Lot of 10 Genuine OEM Apple 87W USB-C Power Adapter A1719 for Macbook Pro
$179.99

Genuine OEM Apple MagSafe 2 45W AC Adapter Charger for Macbook Air 2015 11" 13"
$14.24

OEM 45w T-Tip Power Adapter charger for Apple macbook air 2012-2017 A1436 A1466
$19.99

Genuine OEM 61W USB-C Power Adapter Charger For Apple MacBook PRO 13 inch A1718
$22.00

Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-832GB +128GB - 656-0122/ 656-0121
$69.99

Lot of 100 OEM Apple Magsafe 2 45W AC Adapter A1436 with Power Cable - Grade D
$339.99

apple oem cube 5w charger
$6.99