You are correct. Perhaps the Knoppix devel team wrote some script that will do it, but I haven't found it.So at the moment in fact it is not possible to save changes ... .
I am interested to write installed programs to a hard disk. I understand that I have to remaster knx 3.8 in order to do it. So at the moment in fact it is not possible to save changes ... .
645 echo -n "${CRE}${BLUE}Creating unionfs and symlinks on ramdisk...${NORMAL}"
646 mkdir -p /UNIONFS
647 if test -n "$UNIONFS" && /bin/mount -t unionfs -o dirs=/ramdisk=rw:/KNOPPIX=ro /UNIONFS /UNIONFS; then
648 # We now have unionfs, copy some data from the initial ramdisk first
649 cp -a /etc/fstab /etc/auto.mnt /etc/filesystems /etc/mtab /UNIONFS/etc/
650 for i in bin boot dev etc sbin var lib opt root usr; do # Move directories to unionfs
651 if test -d /$i; then
652 mv /$i /$i.old && \
653 /KNOPPIX/lib/ld-linux.so.2 --library-path /KNOPPIX/lib /KNOPPIX/bin/ln -snf /UNIONFS/$i /$i && \
654 rm -rf /$i.old
655 else
656 ln -snf /UNIONFS/$i /$i
657 fi
658 done
659 for i in $(cd /UNIONFS; echo *);do # Create links for new stuff on /UNIONFS
660 test "$i" = "home" -o "$i" = "tmp" && continue
661 test -L "/$i" || test -d "/$i" || test -f "/$i" || ln -snf "/UNIONFS/$i" /$i
662 done
663 echo ""
664 echo "${GREEN}>> Read-only CD/DVD system successfully merged with read-write /ramdisk.${NORMAL}"
You are correct. Perhaps the Knoppix devel team wrote some script that will do it, but I haven't found it.So at the moment in fact it is not possible to save changes ... .
Downloads at http://www.winfuture.de/news,19477.html will link to
ftp://3dnow.de/KNOPPIX_V3.8-2005-02-...IT_Edition.iso
http://ftp.linuxcenter.ru/iso/Knoppi...IT_Edition.iso
MD5-Prüfsumme: a5055a7eb262752ba099bfaa7f1012d9
When overloaded use
Bittorrent: http://www.boegenielsen.dk:6969/torr...3c28a7.torrent
Boot OK on SATA.
For hyperthreading SMP use (like all 2.6.x kernels): knoppix acpi=off
And for a US keyboard: knoppix lang=us acpi=off
The '=' is "Shift 0".
If your USB mouse is not recognized: disconnect and reconnect
I guess the Kantonix like menu system that Fabian mentioned didn't make it into the 3.8 CeBIT version. Too bad, it seems like it would save new users a lot of problems (particularly since newer versions of Knoppix are much more agressive on booting).
Kanotix 2005-1 ( with kernel 2.6.10-kanotix-8 ) uses apm poweroff in most settings and will like Knoppix 3.8 ( with kernel 2.6.11 and acpi=off ) only recognize 1 of 2 CPUs on Intel SMP PCs.
There's a good article by Kyle Rankin (author of Knoppix Hacks): "Knoppix 3.8 and UnionFS. Wow. Just Wow."
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/6654
According to Rankin: "This also means that if you set up a persistent home directory, you can potentially back up all of these changes and restore them at boot. In fact, Knoppix 3.8 already has a modified persistent home script that does just this (although it's still a beta feature so expect to see bugs here and there). Knoppix can even detect when you have done this on a drive when it boots, and will let you choose what features to restore from this image (if any). If you let it time out, Knoppix does the safe thing and doesn't load any of the settings."
Thanks Chris, that's a great contribution. The torrent is very slow, though. I'm getting 1-10 kB/s; usually I get about 150 kB/s. So far I've downloaded 107 MB and uploaded 268 MB, with an estimated 32 hours to go.Originally Posted by chris-uk
If anyone out there has successfully downloaded this iso, how about starting up your bittorrent client again for uploading so others can download it?
Info on configuring your router for faster bittorrent downloading and uploading is at http://p2p.weblogsinc.com/entry/0401842428674831/
the knoppix qemu got mentioned on slashdot so the forum go slashdotted :O
nice work though chris
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=0...10216&from=rss
so alot more seeds to come along im still getting 2kbs thoughand im uploading 29kbs
![]()
Here's another download link, which for the moment has good speed. M
ftp://ftp.wustl.edu/pub/linux/distri...IT_Edition.iso
I'm confused.
I am running Windows XP SP2.
I dl'd the Knoppix-for-Win CD from the many torrents.
I insert the CD, it chugs for a bit....and then nothing.
I try to execute the qemu-knoppix and qemu-win .bat files, and
they just close the CMD prompt.
What am I doing wrong??
Thanks,
ers

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99
DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95
Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS
$184.99
(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE
$199.99
Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4
$39.00
Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99
HGST HUS726060ALE610 0F23001 6TB HDD 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K Hard Drive (V6315)
$69.95
Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99
Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$318.99
Seagate Exos X16 ST12000NM001G 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s Enterprise HDD
$349.95