I'm not a total Linux newbie, as I've wrestled with Mandrake 8.2 in the past, but decided to try Knoppix 3.7. I'm using a dialup connection through an external modem. It dials in and connects just fine, but when I try Mozilla, just as an example, the response is "unable to resolve host name." The "Details" window shows a spurt of activity at login, then goes flat.
I thought it was a DNS problem, until I tried pinging Yahoo's IP address (68.142.226.44) and got no response -- nothing but lost packets. The "details" window line stayed flat. So, apparently there's a disconnect between the apps and the Internet stack. I'm thinking. I welcome all dissenting opinions, but even more, solutions to the problem.
Thanks in advance.

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00
SAMSUNG FIT PLUS 128GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive - fully working & authentic
$24.95
WiFi Only Samsung Galaxy Tab A9 Plus 11.0" 128GB Black SM-X210
$139.99
RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99
RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99
Samsung 8GB DDR5 5600MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM PC5-44800 CL46 M425R1GB4BB0-CWM
$99.99
Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung
$119.99
NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue
$225.77
LOT OF 5 Samsung 870 EVO 500GB 2.5" SATA SSD TLC DRAM 95% or Better
$250.00