Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Building source : LAME encoder [Solved]

  1. #1

    Building source : LAME encoder [Solved]

    This is probibly a stupid question, but how do i build the LAME encoder from it's source?
    I tried to download it pre-built, but it wasn't distributed prebuilt from their site.
    ftp://ftp.fu-berlin.de/unix/sound/lame/

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    I haven't built Lame, but have you looked at the source? For the things that I have had to build I fould the command line(s) needed right in the source.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    In order to get LAME, you will need to add a new repository to your /etc/apt/sources.list file. This page shows you the line you need to add http://debian.video.free.fr/. After adding the line, update the package lists:
    apt-get update
    Then install lame:
    apt-get install lame

    I hope this helps.
    James

  4. #4

    Thanks

    I found that in the forums earlier. When I installed it, I couldn't find the library libmp3lame.so
    i need to have that library to run audicity with mp3 encoding, unless theres another encoder.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Did you also apt-get liblame0 ?

  6. #6
    I had, but that wasn't the problem. It was naming the file libmp3lame.so.0, like it was a backup. Since no other file of that name existed, i just took off the .0 and I was fine.

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    41
    I was unsuccessful with this on the last release of 3.3 (poor man's install), but I found a workaround.

    I tried with several versions of lame to produce the missing file, using:

    ./configure
    make

    I got the .so.0 file and renamed it, but found audacity would crash when I tried to browse for it. Attempting to open the "settings" dialog in audacity also crashed the program.

    I finally downloaded the free Windows program cdex. Once the .zip file is decompressed, you can run:

    wine cdex.exe

Similar Threads

  1. Grip lists lame, but it seems to be missing: how to install?
    By keenPenguin in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-13-2007, 06:50 PM
  2. Defragmentation under linux. Lame question
    By rivendels in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-25-2005, 02:03 PM
  3. Building Knoppix-like CD
    By oldmarti in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-07-2004, 11:01 AM
  4. lame >> toolame
    By fingers99 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-29-2004, 03:39 AM
  5. A better CD encoder- you absolutely must try it.
    By rickenbacherus in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-26-2003, 12:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack) picture

VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)

$1599.95



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$225.00



Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3 picture

Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3

$219.99



RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2022 50 User/Device Connections picture

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2022 50 User/Device Connections

$68.00



Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server picture

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server

$349.99