-
Junior Member
registered user
Cisco Systems 350 and Monitor mode
I'm setting up a network with a client that has a Cisco Systems 350 PCI wireless LAN adapter and is configured using an Aironet utility in Microsoft Windows.
Using Knoppix I was able to join the wireless network with the default router set up and could ping the router, so everything was working fine.
I then tried to set it to monitor mode using iwconfig eth0/wifi0 mode monitor, but it never changed the mode, I could change it to ad-hoc but not monitor mode.
I assume that this card does support monitor mode and doesn't need any patch drivers, if so then what can be the problem?
When I typed iwconfig eth0 mode monitor and pressed enter, the cursor went to a new line with nothing on it, not even the prompt. I tried opening Airsnort, Ethereal etc but they kept crashing. AirSnort gave me a "segmentation error".
I ran Kismet and got the error message "FATAL: pcap reported netlink type 1[EN10MB] on eth0. This problem means you are not in RFMON mode or your drivers are reporting a bad value. Make sure you have the correct drivers and that entering monitor mode succeeded."
Looking in Microsoft Windows device manager I found the following:
Driver - airo.C 0.6
Device - 350 series
Firmware Version - 4.25.30
1. Do I have the right driver or do I need to download some? if so which one's and where from?
2. How else can I set it to monitor mode other than iwconfig wifi0 mode monitor?
I ran a google search and someone said to solve it you need to do this:
#!/bin/sh
cardctl scheme kismet
ifconfig eth0 down
kismet-monitor -i eth0
ifconfig wifi0 up
echo "Mode: r"> /proc/driver/aironet/eth0/config
echo "Mode: y"> /proc/driver/aironet/eth0/config
kismet -1 wifi0
But I'm not sure if I have to edit a file or type it at the shell prompt, I typed it at the shell prompt and it never got past the first line "cardctl scheme kismet".
I looked in /proc/driver/aironet/eth0 but didn't see much except things such as status and the current config with the SSID etc.
Thanks for any help
Similar Threads
-
By blankscreen in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-23-2007, 08:44 PM
-
By dl5raz in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-12-2007, 10:39 AM
-
By Irongeek in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-08-2005, 04:21 PM
-
By zlm_us in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-28-2004, 02:31 PM
-
By courtarro in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-24-2004, 06:01 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99

MSI Z270 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX LGA1151 DDR4 M.2 PCIe USB 3.1 Gaming
$60.00

MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI DDR4 LGA 1700 Intel Z790 SATA 6Gb/s DDR4 ATX Motherboard
$163.49

Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)
$29.90

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
$76.49

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P
$101.99

MSI B460M-A Pro DDR4 LGA 1200 Micro ATX Motherboard 10th Gen
$59.99

ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU
$45.00